• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

OMG what a mess! Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

WCC

What is the name of your state? Florida

OK, this might be long but i'll try to summarize.

Mom & Dad aren't married. They have 2 babies under 1 1/2 years old. They get evicted from their rental and move into a crummy motel. Dad gets arrested for driving for the 3rd time on a suspended license and goes to jail for 14 days. Mom has no job, no money, no place to stay. (btw, mom and dad have a hard time holding jobs) Mom calls my sil and needs a place for the older baby to stay. The younger is staying with Mom's foster mother in uncertain conditions. The older baby has been with me since 08/01/03. Without going into much more detail:

How long after someone leaves their child with someone else is it considered abandonment?

If social services gets involved, will they let me keep the baby until it's all sorted out?

Any advise?

There is MUCH more to this story so please don't think i'm trying to kick Mom & Dad while they are down. I just HAVE to help these babies cause it's breaking my heart.

ellencee

More likely than not, Social Services will not only let you keep the baby, they will help by making sure the baby receives WIC, Medicaid, and whatever else is available in the way of financial support as provided in your state.

Then, Social Services will help the mother in obtaining any services she needs and in finding housing. Social Services will work with you all the way through placing the baby back into the care of the mother or in allowing you to be the baby's 'foster' parent.

There is the issue of the other baby. Social Services will want to be involved in that situation, too; and they should be. It would be good if you could take care of both children, but I do not think it would be against you to only be able to care for one.

Call Social Services and get the ball rolling. Don't even think about terminating parental rights at this point. You are barely at step A and nowhere near step Z.

Best wishes,
EC

W

WCC

Thanks for the speedy reply. The Mom is already on all kinds of financial assistance. She is 20 years old with 3 kids. The oldest child is 3 and the Mom's foster mother has already adopted her. When i got the baby, he came with No shoes, No diapers, No bottle, No clean clothes, and PIN worms and RING worm. It took 3 baths for me to get the dirt stains off of his feet. i want both of the babies but i'm terrified to call social services because i'm afraid they'll take the baby from me. I know that sounds selfish and i promise i'm not trying to be, but this little one is already so insecure. Mine was the 4th family in ONE day that he had been to. If i leave his sight he freaks. She left him one night with people she knew for like 10 minutes so she could go out. I just feel like crying.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

WCC said:
Thanks for the speedy reply. The Mom is already on all kinds of financial assistance. She is 20 years old with 3 kids. The oldest child is 3 and the Mom's foster mother has already adopted her. When i got the baby, he came with No shoes, No diapers, No bottle, No clean clothes, and PIN worms and RING worm. It took 3 baths for me to get the dirt stains off of his feet. i want both of the babies but i'm terrified to call social services because i'm afraid they'll take the baby from me. I know that sounds selfish and i promise i'm not trying to be, but this little one is already so insecure. Mine was the 4th family in ONE day that he had been to. If i leave his sight he freaks. She left him one night with people she knew for like 10 minutes so she could go out. I just feel like crying.

My response:

Ya, ya, ya - - we've heard it, and seen it, all before. Look, do you want legitimate legal advice, or a shoulder to cry on?

Do you want to do what is right for the child, or are you going to fall apart?

It's your choice. But, if it's a shoulder you need, then go somewhere else. Stop being a baby, and be strong and stop being an emotional train wreck.

This is a legal site - - not "Dear Abby", or Oprah, or Jerry Springer.

IAAL

W

WCC

OK, I'm done whining and yes I want legitimate legal advice. I will call social services today, unless you have another suggestion?

W

WCC

I called today. A social worker is coming in the morning to visit with us and then make contact with the parents. Wish us luck!!! Thank you so much.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">