• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

open adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilly3

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania
Hi, I am Lilly. I am 32 years old and 12 years ago, I gave birth to a beautiful baby girl. The people who I chose for adoption were aquaintences to my mom and myself. It was agreed to be an open adoption, and the adoptive mother and I agreed that I may have contact with them any time I wished. She had always made good on that agreement, and we would have dinner all together pretty much once a year. I got holiday pictures, birthday pictures and school pictures every year. The mother has since passed away, and I have made several attemptes to the adoptive father to get together or at least get a school picture. Nothing has come of it, not even a call back. He started dating someone new 3 months (if not sooner) after "Janet" passed away.
At the time of the adoption, I was advised by their attorny to put father unknown (even though he was by no means unknown), and forced to put an ad in a California State newspaper that I was on vacation in California got pregnant and did not know anything about the biological father. This way the wasn't anyone to contest the adoption.
Since all of this, I am now a mother of 2 girls (ages 2 & 3). I know how I feel about them, and I feel the same exact way about my oldest!!! I guess my biggest concern is that my 12 year old may need someone in her life that she can talk to and relate with. She has always been aware that she was adopted, and does recognize me as a friend. I feel that the adoptive dad is fully being very selfish with his feelings and this new woman, and i know that this little girl has to be going through a great deal of pain. I just want to see her and somehow let her know that I am here for her as her friend and biological mother. Any responses will be greatly reguarded!!!
Heartache the size of the universe!:(

S

shell007

Were any of these "agreement's" at the time of adoption in writting or "just verbal"?

lilly3

shellandty said:
Were any of these "agreement's" at the time of adoption in writting or "just verbal"?

WITH THE ADOPTIVE MOTHER, IT WAS JUST A VERBAL, UNFORTUNATLY!!

lilly3

Open Adoption.

Not Sure What All Of You Are Trying To Say, But I Will Try To Fill In The Blanks. "janet" (the Adoptive Mom" Passed Away In September Of 2004. There Was No Written Agreement Between "janet" And Myself, But I Also Didn' Anticipate That Her Life Would Be Cut So Short!!!

mb94

Even if it was in writing open adoption agreements are only binding in a handful of states. And your verbal agreement has no force of law behind it.

If you know anyone else in the family (an aunt or grandparent) you might try and contact them to see if they are willing to serve as a mediator. Don't contact your daughter directly and don't tell her that you are her birthmother (if she doesn't already know) because it is just going to confuse her even more during this hard time. I hope you didn't mention that part about having to serve notice through a newspaper because you have some type of idea that the adoption could be overturned. Because that would just be cruel to take your daughter's father and identity away from her after she lost her mother.

There are a number of support groups for birthmothers. I suggest you find one of them since legally there is nothing that you can do.

lilly3

mb94 said:
Even if it was in writing open adoption agreements are only binding in a handful of states. And your verbal agreement has no force of law behind it.

If you know anyone else in the family (an aunt or grandparent) you might try and contact them to see if they are willing to serve as a mediator. Don't contact your daughter directly and don't tell her that you are her birthmother (if she doesn't already know) because it is just going to confuse her even more during this hard time. I hope you didn't mention that part about having to serve notice through a newspaper because you have some type of idea that the adoption could be overturned. Because that would just be cruel to take your daughter's father and identity away from her after she lost her mother.

There are a number of support groups for birthmothers. I suggest you find one of them since legally there is nothing that you can do.

I am not quite sure that I want to do something legally. My first priority has ALWAYS been her stability and happiness. My parents divorced when I was 5, and I, at 20, wanted my daughter to have all that I couldn't give her!! I would never want to take her "family" away from her, just extend her family. There are alot of people that love her very deeply!! But, I have told them that they will get to meet her under the RIGHT circumstances only!!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
lilly3 said:
There are alot of people that love her very deeply!! But, I have told them that they will get to meet her under the RIGHT circumstances only!!
And this is something that is not your choice. It is her father's. He is under no obligation to allow you to be a part of her life.

momofrose

Neal1421 said:
I should hope that is what she meant.

Otherwise... :eek:
YES I MEANT send your birthdaughter a letter - she is 12 and fully capable of reading a lwtter - no?

How about an email address? Does she have one?

D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">