• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Open sealed adoption records

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Markyarte

I live in Md. but was adopted in Va.
I've been searching for my birth family since 1989. 7 years ago received non-Id info. Paid social worker (intermediary) through adoption agency to do search. She had the case open for 2 1/2 years, and was unable to find anyone. She said both families had common names. That case will go to the commission and 9 out of 10 they will not open records since a birth member was not found. The only thing left is a court order to open records.
1) Where is my due process from the intermediary. Since I gave money to a stranger and yet I am suppose to expect no information to the steps she has taken
2) Is there a form in Va. such as a petition to open sealed records that I could type?
3) Is there anyway I can be sure to get that record open?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
1) Where is my due process from the intermediary. Since I gave money to a stranger and yet I am suppose to expect no information to the steps she has taken
She did the work...why shouldn't she get paid?
2) Is there a form in Va. such as a petition to open sealed records that I could type?
3) Is there anyway I can be sure to get that record open?
There will be nothing to make "sure" you can get it open, in fact, according to your own post, you only have a 1-in-10 chance of having it opened.
I'm sure there will be other, more informed people to give you an answer, but my thoughts are that, unless you have some major (ie: life threatening) need, you may not get those records open :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">