• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Original Birth Certificate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kklblue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

I was adopted at birth in 1964. In the 80's I found my birth mother and father. I did not have an ongoing relationship more so because of her husband. Both my natural mother and her husband have passed away.

Could I petition the courts to get a copy of my original birth certificate since she is deceased?

Thank you!

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

I was adopted at birth in 1964. In the 80's I found my birth mother and father. I did not have an ongoing relationship more so because of her husband. Both my natural mother and her husband have passed away.

Could I petition the courts to get a copy of my original birth certificate since she is deceased?

Thank you!
Your original birth certificate no longer exists on a level where you could obtain a copy, even with a court order. Why do you need a copy?

single317dad

Those original records certainly do exist, and many states allow access to them in some form:

http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/chs/osr/adoption.html

Adoptee - Access to Original Birth Record
An adopted person, age 19 or older who was adopted, may request a non-certified copy of the original birth record. To request a non-certified copy, complete the following form:

Adoptee's Request for Original Birth Record Information and Search for Affidavit of Disclosure or Non-Disclosure (Interactive PDF: 81KB/1 page).

Mail the completed form with a fee of $13 to the Minnesota Department of Health, Central Cashiering - Vital Records, P.O. Box 64499, St. Paul, Minnesota 55164-0499.

If a birth parent has given permission to release the original birth information to the adopted person, MDH will send the adopted person a non-certified copy of the original birth record. If no Affidavit of Disclosure or Non-Disclosure has been filed, MDH will notify the adopted person that a non-certified copy of the original birth record cannot be released at this time. MDH will also notify the Department of Human Services for the purpose of conducting a search for the birth parent(s) according to Minnesota Statutes, section 259.89. The search may take up to six months. MDH will contact the adopted person when the search is complete.
Your birth mother's death may prove problematic. Do you still have any contact with your birth father?

LdiJ

Those original records certainly do exist, and many states allow access to them in some form:

http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/chs/osr/adoption.html

Your birth mother's death may prove problematic. Do you still have any contact with your birth father?
The thing is, the non-certified copy of his birth record isn't going to give him any more information than he already has...the names of his birth parents. Hence my question as to why he needs that record.

davew128

The thing is, the non-certified copy of his birth record isn't going to give him any more information than he already has...the names of his birth parents. Hence my question as to why he needs that record.
I'm guessing you've never experienced the identity issue of discovery associated with being adopted. An adopted child will still want to see the documentation, even if they already know what's there. The adoption agency most likely still has the records, and while I don't know Minnesota's law on it, it may or may not need written approval of the birth mother to allow the child to see the documents. It may also need an order from a family court.

latigo

The answer to your officious, apathetic question is that it is none of your concern! Which you have now repeated only in an effort to cloud the misinformation contained in your first response.

Proserpina

The answer to your officious, apathetic question is that it is none of your concern! Which you have now repeated only in an effort to cloud the misinformation contained in your first response.

Whereas this is a stunningly clear example of what you generally bring to threads.

Shocking.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">