• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible to get adoption paperwork from years ago?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maneki

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I was adopted in Connecticut

When I was 4 years old my adoption was final. My mother recently passed away and a lawyer friend of mine suggested I need to check my adoption paperwork to see if there were any clauses regarding inheritance. I have never seen my adoption paperwork, all I have is the altered birth certificate showing my adopted mom instead of my birth mom. The adoption took place 37 years ago in CT, I lived in New Haven county so I assume it was done in that county, no clue what lawyer handled it all. I have no contacts with anyone on that side of the family who would have any information either. Is it possible to get a copy of the adoption paperwork, and if so, how? Thanks.

Edited to add: If it makes any difference, my paternal grandmother is the one that adopted me so it was all in the family.

Last edited:

ecmst12

If you're talking about your biological mom, there wouldn't be any clauses in your adoption papers. If bio mom wanted to leave you something, she would have had to write it in a will. Your adoptive mom is your only legal mother and the only mother you would inherit from if she died intestate.

maneki

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. It was my adopted mother that passed away. My birth mother is still living.

ecmst12

I'm very sorry for your loss.

If your adoptive mom didn't leave a will, you would inherit from her the same as any biological child would (including your bio mom I guess). You don't need any adoption papers for that, your post-adoption birth certificate proves the relationship.

maneki

Thank you. Unfortunately it's not as easy as not leaving a will. She did, but didn't mention me at all, and the family on that side are deliberately pushing me out (long story). When I was discussing this with my lawyer friend she said it's a long shot but that there may be some provision in the adoption that would assist in figuring everything out. There's a lot more going on with the whole will, estate, etc and I'm just trying to put everything together that might help at all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">