• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

possible illegal adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tigerpaws52

What isbifteCkthe name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama
Is it legal for a spouse to adopt without th� other? If not; how can It be proven?

CSO286

What isbifteCkthe name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama
Is it legal for a spouse to adopt without th� other? If not; how can It be proven?
You'll need to give us more information to get a good answer.

An individual can adopt.
How can what be proven? The adoption?

Proserpina

I think OP is wondering whether or not (for example) I can go and adopt as a single parent without my husband's input.

Context would be nice though ;)

tigerpaws52

You'll need to give us more information to get a good answer.

An individual can adopt.
How can what be proven? The adoption?
My husbands brother wants us to adopt his grandkids and I think he has went behind my back and done this? These kids are not in danger. Hé and his wife just dont want thé responsability. His brother wants them to have thé family name.

Proserpina

My husbands brother wants us to adopt his grandkids and I think he has went behind my back and done this? These kids are not in danger. Hé and his wife just dont want thé responsability. His brother wants them to have thé family name.
I don't suppose you've asked your husband?

Where are these children living?

single317dad

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/alcode/26/10A

ALA CODE § 26-10A-5 : Alabama Code - Section 26-10A-5: WHO MAY ADOPT

(a) Any adult person or husband and wife jointly who are adults may petition the court to adopt a minor.
ALA CODE § 26-10A-28 : Alabama Code - Section 26-10A-28: ADOPTION BY OTHER RELATIVES

A grandfather, a grandmother, great-grandfather, great-grandmother, great-uncle, great-aunt, a brother, or a half-brother, a sister, a half-sister, an aunt or an uncle of the first degree and their respective spouses, if any may adopt a minor grandchild, a minor brother, a minor half-brother, a minor sister, a minor half-sister, a minor nephew, a minor niece, a minor great-grandchild, a minor great niece or a minor great nephew, according to the provisions of this chapter, except that:

(1) Before the filing of the petition for adoption, the adoptee must have resided for a period of one year with the petitioner, unless this filing provision is waived by the court for good cause shown;

(2) No investigation under Section 26-10A-19 shall occur unless otherwise directed by the court; and

(3) No report of fees and charges under Section 26-10A-23 shall be made unless ordered by the court.

tigerpaws52

I don't suppose you've asked your husband?

Where are these children living?
He wouldnt tell me the truth, but I know hes hiding something.
Théy are still living with his brother and wife. They have custody of them. Their mother loves in the house with them too.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Théy are still living with his brother and wife. They have custody of them. Their mother loves in the house with them too.
And where is their father? Seriously - just spit the story out. No one is going to pull teeth to help you. The piecemeal information wastes everyone's time.

tigerpaws52

And where is their father? Seriously - just spit the story out. No one is going to pull teeth to help you. The piecemeal information wastes everyone's time.
One is or was in jail. The other lives down thé street from them. They have different dads.

Proserpina

That you even have to wonder about this, tells me that there's such a lack of trust that your marriage is at a critical point and this not a recent thing.

I know you have your reasons, but if it were me? The marriage would be over.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">