• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is it possible that international people here can adopt a child?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

caroline_xie

What is the name of your state? TX
I'm a Chinese, would like to adopt a children, is it legally allowed to adopt an asian american?
Thank you for your help_
Caroline:)

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
caroline_xie said:
What is the name of your state? TX
I'm a Chinese, would like to adopt a children, is it legally allowed to adopt an asian american?
Thank you for your help_
Caroline:)
Are you a resident of the United States? Do you have a home here? Or do you live in CHina and want to adopt to take the child back to China?
What kind of adoption are you looking at -- private or public?
And don't take this the wrong way but are you gay? (Asked only because some states like Ohio are trying to ban or have already banned allowing homosexuals to foster or adopt children.)

caroline_xie

I'm now in US, Texas, I'm married and not gay, just want to have a kid. please let me know if it's possible, thanks a lot!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
caroline_xie said:
By the way, what is public vs private?
Private is where you adopt a child through a private (not governmental) agency or by having a birth mother choose you specifically to adopt her child. Public adoptions are where you adopt a child that is in foster care and in the care of the state. That is what I was talking about.

There are no laws that i know of that will prohibit a US resident of adopting a child because of their ethnicity. You will have to pass a background check as will your spouse and have homestudys and meet all the requirements. But your ethnic background/citizenship is not going to prohibit it completely. Some private agencies may have their own rules.

nextwife

Do you have permanent residency status yet? If not, you may need to wait. But adoption is all about waiting, anyway. Been there done that.

Also, you state you want to adopt an Asian American? Donmestic adoption is generally either private, which means arranged by agreement between birthparent(s) and adoptive parents through an attorney or agency. With these adoptions, be prepared to "staqrt over" once or twice, at least, as bioparents are inclined to change their minds after birth.

Domestic adoption can ALSO be through foster to adoption programs. The child would usually be older, not a newborn, and the bioparents could very well meet reunification requirments and the adoption would not take place.

I adopted internationally, from an orphanage, because I wanted to complete the adoption once and for all, and not risk losing my child. With the orphanage adoption, bioparents rights are often already terminated even BEFORE they country allows a referral to occur. My daughter was 2 when we got her.

Also, you wrote "I" want to adopt. You MUST adopt with your spouse.

mb94

Does anyone else get a feeling there is a huge chunk of this story missing?

To the OP: Why would you think you couldn't adopt? Is there something about your legal status in the US or your marriage that makes you think that you would be kept from adopting a child?

HomeGuru

mb94 said:
Does anyone else get a feeling there is a huge chunk of this story missing?

To the OP: Why would you think you couldn't adopt? Is there something about your legal status in the US or your marriage that makes you think that you would be kept from adopting a child?

**A: illegal alien comes to mind**************.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">