• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Private Adoption-Legality Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Summer2005

Can I adopt without a homestudy through private adoption and is it legal?
Is it legal to advertise that I want a particular gender, race and age of an infant? ( Particularly through local newspapers)

rmet4nzkx

Summer2005 said:
Can I adopt without a homestudy through private adoption and is it legal?
Is it legal to advertise that I want a particular gender, race and age of an infant? ( Particularly through local newspapers)
What state?
I should hope that any private adoption agency would complete some sort of homestudy before handing a child over to you. I sounds as if there is a reason you which to avoid such and would rather buy a child instead, which is of course illegal.

Summer2005

Private Adoption~Legality

I've decided not to use an agency, but to place an ad. Is this legal?
I prefer to adopt a baby that is already born because I want a specific gender and race. (minority) Is this legal? I also want to adopt directly from lawyer to lawyer and using the court system and through an agency that charges thousands of dollars for fees such as placement, maternity, medical, legal, etc.

rmet4nzkx

Please go through an agency or Adoption attorney, otherwise you may pay for a child that doesn't exist or promised to many couples.

mb94

Yes you can adopt a child without going through an agency but you will still need a homestudy. You can advertise for anything you want but I will point out that most private adoptions involve women who have not already given birth. Usually once they've given birth and taken the baby home they plan on keeping it.

Have you thought about adopting through the state? Lots of waiting children and it can be completed for little to no cost.

nextwife

International adoptions are usually toddler to much older, obviously gender and presumed race known. You can't avoid a homestudy and police clearance, and use of either an agency or faciltator and attorney in birth country,though.

momofrose

We just adopted through an attorney. The fees are just as high as if you go through an agency - you still have to pay for maternity medical and living expenses...

Advertising in a paper for a child already born willnot get you far - those ads are typically for those that wish a potential birthmom to contact them.

Go through the right channels - too many things can go wrong.

Good luck

nextwife

momofrose said:
you still have to pay for maternity medical and living expenses...
This only applies to newborn adoptions. Other types of adoptions (adoption from foster, orphanage adoption) do NOT include maternity medical, etc. as mom is usually out of the picture.

momofrose

nextwife said:
This only applies to newborn adoptions. Other types of adoptions (adoption from foster, orphanage adoption) do NOT include maternity medical, etc. as mom is usually out of the picture.
That is correct - that is my point - when you advertise in the paper as potential adoptive parents - you are more likely to be looked at my potential birthmom's NOT parents thathave already had a child. You would not advertise for a child from a foster home or adoption orphanage.

d

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
nextwife said:
True - but they'd still require a homestudy. I can't help but wonder why OP is trying to bypass that requirement.

momofrose

ABSOLUTELY!!! - Home studies including criminal and fingerprint checks are required for all legal adoptions...

D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">