• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question about CA adoption terms for bio father

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mender

state - CA
Hello,

The mother of my child married and wants me to sign parental rights over to her husband. I have agreed to it, but I do not understand what will happens in regards to child support, back owed child support (CS wasnt filed for until child was 2), health insurance, and so forth. I know visitation rights are dropped (she never let me see the child anyway), but do I still pay CS, and if I don't, when does it stop? Sorry if this is a lot of writing, but I'm confused as to what will happen. Thanks for any help I can get in advance

G

GAS BAG

Mender said:
state - CA
Hello,

The mother of my child married and wants me to sign parental rights over to her husband. I have agreed to it, but I do not understand what will happens in regards to child support, back owed child support (CS wasnt filed for until child was 2), health insurance, and so forth. I know visitation rights are dropped (she never let me see the child anyway), but do I still pay CS, and if I don't, when does it stop? Sorry if this is a lot of writing, but I'm confused as to what will happen. Thanks for any help I can get in advance

When the adoption is finalized, CS stops.

IAAL

G

GAS BAG

Mender said:
ok thanks. Any idea how long these things take in CA?

At what point does a boat become a ship?

When does a string become a rope?

Get the picture?

IAAL

nextwife

No NEW support would be due, however, UNLESS mom agrees to waive the arrearage, that swould still be due. I';d suggest having an attorney sdo that you ONLY provide the release of rights in conjunction with the finalization of adoption. Other wise, ten years from now, you could get a huge bill because they never completed the adoption and now she wants to collect an arrrearage. This will also insure that your attorney gets evidence of the adoption so you and he can notify CSE to stop the CS order as to new CS.

Mender

Does the back pay I owe from before the child support was filed go to the mother, or the county or whoever is in charge of the child support? I think the charge for the dna verification test was included in that too.

susan_kaye

similar situation

I lived in Cal during situation I am responding to.

I went thru a similar situation only turned around, I wanted my ex to relinquish parental rights of our son so my husband could adopt him. My ex wasn’t paying what was ordered, was in arrears of around 20 grand and never showed up for visitation (I’m not saying our case is similar in all categories just in the support category).

What you need to have included in the paperwork is that all child support in arrears will be expunged and no further support is due. It is effective the day the judge signs it and not until. It would be worth it to have a lawyer draw up paperwork on your behalf or if you can’t afford one make it clear to your ex so she should inform her attorney that you would sign under this condition only. Either way, if it’s not in the final judgment that all is expunged; you will continue to owe full amount of arrears. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Mender

Ok, thanks a lot everone. This has helped make some sense of a really confusing situation here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">