• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ljrdg

What is the name of your state? Indiana I have a quick question. If a child is adopted by their stepfather are they legally allowed to go back to using their bio-fathers last name when they become an adult and sign legal documents using the bio name (without going back to court to have name legally changed back to bio name)?

fairisfair

signing ones name a certain way, does not change it legally.

Signed,
Donald Trump

See there, I told you it wouldn't work!!! ;) :D

ljrdg

I was asking because my ex (father of my youngest child) signed her bc and paternity affidavit with the name that I thought was his legal last name, about six months after we split up he started going by a different name and I come to find out that the name he used when we were togetherand signed her bc with was his bio-fathers name but he was adopted when he was 6 years old and that was actually his legal name. So what I am wondering is if this was legal for him to do and would I have any chance of having her name changed to mine?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">