• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question post adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CCMominVA

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

Hello all,

My husband adopted our son a while back. We used a lawyer, ex consented to the adoption. Adoption was final in Aug. 2008.

Ex husband emailed me today demanding the adoption paperwork. Am I required to send it to him, or should I not respond. My only guess is he's upset that his wages are still being garnished for past support in excess of $20,000.

Any thoughts?

CCMominVA

Is he also being garnished for ongoing support? Has CSE been notified the child was adopted and when?
CSE was notified by fax from me right after I got the adoption paperwork. Further collection has been stopped, but I did not forgive the past arrears. I hope this helps! His wages were being garnished twice a month, but I noticed the last 2 months it has been taken just once a month.

Isis1

check with your civil procedures, but at some point in time he should have received a copy. i'd send him the copy. like was said before he may have thought the arrears would disappear too.

CCMominVA

I guess.....

I just never have a good feeling when he does certain things. After we divorced, he took credit cards out in my name, and just last year when I went to register a new car (even though we have been divorced for 10 years), they had my address listed as his home address - a location I never lived at. I just am uncomfortable sending him a document that has so much information about my husband now.

I will try to find out if I am required to.

Isis1

I just never have a good feeling when he does certain things. After we divorced, he took credit cards out in my name, and just last year when I went to register a new car (even though we have been divorced for 10 years), they had my address listed as his home address - a location I never lived at. I just am uncomfortable sending him a document that has so much information about my husband now.

sounds like you need to check your credit. and put a block on it. as well as that of your child's and your husband.

LdiJ

I am not sure that you are required to provide him a copy nor I am certain that he ever should have received a copy. He should have received a copy of his termination of parental rights, but that is all.

I would check with a local attorney and get his/her take on it.

I also agree that you should be checking everyone's credit reports.

CCMominVA

Thank you

Considering he never jumped through any hoops to take care of his firstborn, I won't jump through any hoops to "help" him in whatever it is he is looking for.

I check all of our credit reports thoroughly after finding out what he did to me. That was something that took a lot to fight, but fortunately, all of what he did then has been undone or resolved. So last year when his address popped up on my records, I was so shocked.

Thank you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">