• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quick question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dadwith2girls

What is the name of your state? South Carolina

I recently got married and have Two children from 2 previous relationships. My son who is 8 years old. I was with his father until my son was 10 months old. My daughter who's 6 and I was with her father from May of 1998 to March of 2004. My daughter's father is the only Dad that my son knows even though his Bio dad is on the birth certificate and pays C.S.He (bio-dad) does not get visits with him because he does not want them, but my daughters father gets BOTH children EO weekend. My son's father wants to give up his rights to my 8 year old and I want to know if my current husband has to be the one to adopt him or if my ex can adopt him instead which is what all of us want even the Bio-dad, because this is who he knows as daddy.

LdiJ

seniorjudge said:
Rephrase that; I cannot tell who is doing what to whom.
I understood it....I will try to paraphase.

Mom had a son with a man and lived with him until the son was 10 months old.

Mom then had a relationship with another man that lasted 6 years. They had a daughter and the man treated her son as his own child as well. They split up and since that time the man has had visitation with both children...despite the fact that only one of them is his biological child.

Mom has now gotten married to a third man. The bio dad of her son would like to give up his parental rights. Everyone would like the father of her second child to become the legal father of her son....due to their relationship. She wants to know if that is possible...or if her husband is the only one that could be eligible to adopt.

I suspect that it may not be possible without mom losing her parental rights to her son.

dadwith2girls

Thanks

Yes you got it LdiJ, so do I have to lose my parental rights for him to adopt? All we want is for him to have the same last name as the person he considers his dad.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">