• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Regaining parental right and reversing an adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cpacheco1478

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

Social services took away my parental rights (drug charge - received misdemeaner for D&N) and my ex mother-in-law adopted my children in November 2006. I was told I could appeal after two years. It that true? Or at least would it be possible to get the courts to allow visitation? Currently, my ex-mother-in-law will not allow contact. I'm healthy, stable and in no legal trouble. My son is 13 year and wants to come home. He does sneak phone calls to me at work, when possible.

Silverplum

Social services took away my parental rights (drug charge - received misdemeaner for D&N) and my ex mother-in-law adopted my children in November 2006.
For your X MIL to adopt, the other parent would have to agree to terminate their parental rights as well. Did s/he?
I find it truly amazing that your parental rights were removed for a misdemeanor drug charge. Are you telling the whole truth here? :confused:
cpacheco1478 said:
I was told I could appeal after two years.
"Told," by whom??
Your attorney?
Someone else?
cpacheco1478 said:
It that true? Or at least would it be possible to get the courts to allow visitation?
Not if there was an actual adoption.
cpacheco1478 said:
Currently, my ex-mother-in-law will not allow contact.
If she's the legal parent of the child, she doesn't have to allow contact.
In fact, she could restrain you from contacting the child.
cpacheco1478 said:
I'm healthy, stable and in no legal trouble.
What a difference a couple of years can make.
cpacheco1478 said:
My son is 13 year and wants to come home. He does sneak phone calls to me at work, when possible.
You are walking on thin, thin ice, IMHO.

Gracie3787

Social services took away my parental rights (drug charge - received misdemeaner for D&N) and my ex mother-in-law adopted my children in November 2006. I was told I could appeal after two years. It that true? Or at least would it be possible to get the courts to allow visitation? Currently, my ex-mother-in-law will not allow contact. I'm healthy, stable and in no legal trouble. my son is 13 year and wants to come home. He does sneak phone calls to me at work, when possible.
If your rights were terminated and an actual adoption took place, you don't have a son anymore.

The time limits to file an appeal are LONG gone. I don't know of any state that allows an appeal to be filed 2 years after the court order.

I agree with silver, there is probably more to this, because parental rights aren't usually terminated for a first time misdemeanor.

You said that your ex MIL adopted your children, meaning more than 1 child, correct?
Is the 13 yr old the only remaining minor?
If not, why aren't you asking about your other former children?

You ARE walking on extremely thin ice by having contact with your former son, and you might find yourself with a restraining order or worse if you keep it up.

If you think that the TPR and adoption did not happen, get a consult with a local attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">