• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relinquishing Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Beemoma

North Carolina
My nine year old sons bio-father is in jail in California and has not had anything to do with him in 7 years. My husband wants to adopt him. Do I have to go through CA or NC to get bio-dad to relinquish parental rights? Do I even have to do this since he has been gone with no contact for so long?

Seanscott

File a petition to adopt in NC. Bio-dad has to be notified of any proceedings. He will be given a chance to consent to the adoption, or to fight it.

S

s_hale

file your petition with the state of nc. the attorney will notify the bio dad. he then has the option to consent or fight. if he chooses to fight he will have to pay for paternity test, attorney, and housing in your state. it will cost him more than it will you.

yes you still have to do this. bum dad or not. by law he still has parental rights.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">