• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reversal of Adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zyavol

I currently live in California with my biological father. I was taken from him when I was three years old and put up for adoption in Utah against his wishes by my mother. My adoptive parents disowned me for my sexual orientation. I want nothing to do with them. The adoption was open to my biological mother only, and she has since cut off contact with the adoptive parents for disowning me.

I am looking to nullify the adoption. I want my birth certificate with my birth parents' names on it, my original name on it; my social security card with my birth name, and ID with my birth name. I would like a step by step of the process and forms to file in which order, etc.

Thanks.

Zyavol

How old are you?
I am 23 as of today.

More facts upon review: I know that if re-adoption is required, BOTH of my biological parents will consent. And furthermore, Dad adamantly refused to sign any papers pursuant to termination of his parental rights. My parents were also married at the time of my birth. However, they are now divorced and my mother remarried.

Proserpina

I am 23 as of today.

More facts upon review: I know that if re-adoption is required, BOTH of my biological parents will consent. And furthermore, Dad adamantly refused to sign any papers pursuant to termination of his parental rights. My parents were also married at the time of my birth. However, they are now divorced and my mother remarried.

Happy Birthday.

The only way to fix this is by having one of your bio parents adopt you. That will however mean that the other parent will be excluded.

You can read this, too: http://www.saclaw.org/pages/adult-adoption.aspx

LdiJ

Happy Birthday.

The only way to fix this is by having one of your bio parents adopt you. That will however mean that the other parent will be excluded.

You can read this, too: http://www.saclaw.org/pages/adult-adoption.aspx
I agree. However, as far as your name is concerned you are perfectly free to change that. So basically, you might not be able to change your birth certificate without an adult adoption, but you can certainly do everything else very simply.

Zyavol

I agree. However, as far as your name is concerned you are perfectly free to change that. So basically, you might not be able to change your birth certificate without an adult adoption, but you can certainly do everything else very simply.
Thank you all for all your help.

single317dad

There is a possibility under CA code to obtain the original birth certificate. While it would not be valid, it would list the birth parents.

http://www.childsworld.ca.gov/PG3392.htm

You may be able to obtain a copy of the original birth certificate by filing a petition under California Health and Safety Code Section 102705 in the clerk's office of the county superior court where you reside (if you live in California), or the county where the adoption was finalized. In your petition, you must show good and compelling cause for the granting of the order. It is at the sole discretion of the court as to whether the original birth certificate will be unsealed.
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=hsc&group=102001-103000&file=102625-102710

102705. All records and information specified in this article, other than the newly issued birth certificate, shall be available only upon the order of the superior court of the county of residence of the adopted child or the superior court of the county granting the order of adoption.
No such order shall be granted by the superior court unless a verified petition setting forth facts showing the necessity of the order has been presented to the court and good and compelling cause is shown for the granting of the order. The clerk of the superior court shall send a copy of the petition to the State Department of Social Services and the department shall send a copy of all records and information it has concerning the adopted person with the name and address of the natural parents removed to the court. The court must review these records before making an order and the order should so state. If the petition is by or on behalf of an adopted child who has attained majority, these facts shall be given great weight, but the granting of any petition is solely within the sound discretion of the court.
The name and address of the natural parents shall be given to the petitioner only if he or she can demonstrate that the name and address, or either of them, are necessary to assist him or her in establishing a legal right.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">