• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reversal of Step-Parent Adoption(Is it possible?)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nicolem36

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
3 years ago, after a long drawn out battle, I signed the paperwork to give my ex's new wife custody of my daughter. I was coerced by him (long story) into signing the paperwork because it would be better for her because of my mother's alcoholic background. I've since become more stable and even attempted to contact him regarding her status to no avail.
I just found out today that my daughter no longer lives with him and his wife, that she lives with his sister, and I was wondering if I had any legal ground to stand on to get my parental rights back. If I had known that I would never get to see my daughter again, I wouldn't have signed the paperwork in the first place, and now, 3 years later, I would love to be a part of her life.

Please help.

Thanks
Nicole.

nicolem36

I fully understand what happened now, while I might not have understood what I signed then, I know now what I signed.

I am asking if it can be reversed.

Any help, by someone who can, would be appreciated.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I fully understand what happened now, while I might not have understood what I signed then, I know now what I signed.

Any help, by someone who can, would be appreciated.
Short of a gun held to your head, or some other serious threat, you can't claim that you were "coerced".

She is no longer your daughter. You are a legal stranger to the child. YOU chose this.

mommyof4

No, it cannot be reversed. You have no legal standing to even file suit for any visitation or custodial rights.

Your only hope is that when she is a legal adult (and has the right to make the decision for herself) she seeks you out OR is welcoming to any communication or contact you may extend.

LdiJ

I agree with the others if you truly agreed to terminate your parental rights and the stepmother actually adopted the child.

However, giving someone custody is not the same as someone adopting the child, therefore your title to this thread and your explanation in your first post could be contradictory.

If the stepmother adopted the child its permanent and cannot be reversed under any circumstances. If an adoption did not actually happen, then its a totally different story.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">