• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reverse adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

carolynr15

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

I am a 38 year old man and was adopted when I was 3 years old. I have been estranged from my adoptive parents since I was 18 and have had no contact with them at all for the last 10 years. I have been married for 14 years and am considering adopting a child but have legal concerns for my future and for my childs future.

Is it possible to legally reverse my adoption so that my adoptive parents have no legal rights to me, my child or family? I do not see that it would be a battle, I imagine they would agree but is it possible and what is the process? Just a sidenote that I do not have contact and do not know of my biological parents.

Thank you,
CarolynWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

I am a 38 year old man and was adopted when I was 3 years old. I have been estranged from my adoptive parents since I was 18 and have had no contact with them at all for the last 10 years. I have been married for 14 years and am considering adopting a child but have legal concerns for my future and for my childs future.

Is it possible to legally reverse my adoption so that my adoptive parents have no legal rights to me, my child or family? I do not see that it would be a battle, I imagine they would agree but is it possible and what is the process? Just a sidenote that I do not have contact and do not know of my biological parents.

Thank you,
CarolynWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
reverse, no. at least not that i am aware of or have been informed.

what you might want to consider doing is an adult adoption. was there a family friend you are close with? someone in your life you looked as a surrogate parents? someone from church or other organization? that i know is possible.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Why not just ignore your parents? They have no legal rights to you if you have a will. They have no legal rights to your child if you are married. There are ways to prevent them from getting anything from you or having any claim to anything in your life.

kdhohio

I think there is more to this that the OP is omitting. Why would a 38 year old married man need to reverse his adoption 35 years ago? And his name being Carolyn is weird as well. I knew a man named Carol but never Carolyn.

carolynr15

Not more to this, am inquiring for and with my husband and was just trying to keep it easy in terms of details. Thanks everyone for your replies!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">