• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

reverse step parent adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mulish

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA / NV

I adopted my (the) stepdaughter in California 22 years ago. Her bio mother agreed to it. We all live in Nevada now. My daughter wants to remove my name and put her bio mother's back on. I understand that she is an adult and can be adopted if she chooses by anyone. don't think I want this. Do I have any say in this? Do I even get notified if this happens?

thank you

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA / NV

I adopted my (the) stepdaughter in California 22 years ago. Her bio mother agreed to it. We all live in Nevada now. My daughter wants to remove my name and put her bio mother's back on. I understand that she is an adult and can be adopted if she chooses by anyone. don't think I want this. Do I have any say in this? Do I even get notified if this happens?

thank you
She's an adult. She can change her name to anything she pleases, with no notification to anyone, no "adoption" required.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
And, she is an adult, she can be adopted by whomever she please - no approval on your part is required.

nextwife

If she wants biomom to adopt her, she'll have to have biomom alone adopt her. If dad is alive, the single parent adoption will take dad OFF her birth certificate. You needn't agree to anything.

FlyingRon

Here are the NV statutes regarding adult adoption...
§ 127.190 - 210. Adoption of Adults.

127.190. Adoption of adults: Ages; agreement of adoption.

1. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, any adult person may adopt any other adult person younger than himself, except the spouse of the adopting person, by an agreement of adoption approved by a decree of adoption of the district court in the county in which either the person adopting or the person adopted resides.

2. The agreement of adoption shall be in writing and shall be executed by the person adopting and the person to be adopted, and shall set forth that the parties agree to assume toward each other the legal relation of parent and child, and to have all of the rights and be subject to all of the duties and responsibilities of that relation.

127.200. Adoption of adults: Consent required.

1. A married person not lawfully separated from his spouse may not adopt an adult person without the consent of the spouse of the adopting person, if such spouse is capable of giving such consent.

2. A married person not lawfully separated from his spouse may not be adopted without the consent of the spouse of the person to be adopted, if such spouse is capable of giving such consent.

3. Neither the consent of the natural parent or parents of the person to be adopted, nor of the division, nor of any other person is required.

NRS 127.210 Petition for approval of agreement of adoption; notice, investigation and hearing; decree of adoption.

1. The adopting person and the person to be adopted may file in the district court in the county in which either resides a petition praying for approval of the agreement of adoption by the issuance of a decree of adoption.

2. The court shall fix a time and place for hearing on the petition, and both the person adopting and the person to be adopted shall appear at the hearing in person, but if such appearance is impossible or impractical, appearance may be made for either or both of such persons by counsel empowered in writing to make such appearance.

3. The court may require notice of the time and place of the hearing to be served on other interested persons, and any such interested person may appear and object to the proposed adoption.

4. No investigation or report to the court by any public officer is required, but the court may require the Division to investigate the circumstances and report thereon, with recommendations, to the court before the hearing.

5. At the hearing the court shall examine the parties, or the counsel of any party not present in person. If the court is satisfied that the adoption will be for the best interests of the parties and in the public interest, and that there is no reason why the petition should not be granted, the court shall approve the agreement of adoption, and enter a decree of adoption declaring that the person adopted is the child of the person adopting him. Otherwise, the court shall withhold approval of the agreement and deny the prayer of the petition.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

So, they don't need your consent, and while it's not strictly required that you be notified, it would suggest that the judge may require that notification. If you show at the hearing you can speak, but I doubt there is anything persuasive you can say.

I know how you must feel. I'm a step-dad (did not adopt) myself and I have an uncle who adopted a child who in her thirties got nostalgic for her birth name from a father that she never knew and took the name back slighting the man who adopted her and raised her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">