• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reverse step-parent adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

duckwheelz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

Unlike other posts I've seen here, I am the adoptee, I am now a grown woman, and I want to reverse my stepfather's adoption of me when I was 2 (38 years ago). I have my biological father's family support, but don't even know if it can be done.

Proserpina

Simply have your biological father adopt you as an adult.

Otherwise there's no such process to reverse a stepparent adoption in the way you're wanting to do so.

Antigone*

Simply have your biological father adopt you as an adult.

Otherwise there's no such process to reverse a stepparent adoption in the way you're wanting to do so.
At 40, I'd think I'd be worrying about something more subtiantial like what the heck am I going to tell my hubby when the new purse I ordered arrives:rolleyes:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

Unlike other posts I've seen here, I am the adoptee, I am now a grown woman, and I want to reverse my stepfather's adoption of me when I was 2 (38 years ago). I have my biological father's family support, but don't even know if it can be done.
You haven't looked very hard. This question has come up SEVERAL times.

xylene

Anything is possible

but don't even know if it can be done.
This is not legal.

Start a raging bonfire.

Take a picture of your step-father

Scream "I DENY YOU, I DENY YOU, I DENY YOU..." until you are satisfied, but no less that the 3 times mentioned here.

Cast the picture into the fire.

seniorjudge

You haven't looked very hard. This question has come up SEVERAL times.
Okay, if you're so danged smart, then what IS the answer to the question:
At 40, I'd think I'd be worrying about something more subtiantial like what the heck am I going to tell my hubby when the new purse I ordered arrives
(Me, I wouldn't ask questions about purses; I don't give a rip.)

:D

Antigone*

Okay, if you're so danged smart, then what IS the answer to the question:

(Me, I wouldn't ask questions about purses; I don't give a rip.)

:D
You don't but the hubby will when he sees the credit card statement. He did tell me earlier in the day to buy whatever I wanted when I went to the jewelry party I attended. I think I can make a new Dooney & Burke look like a pair of earrings or a bracelet if I try hard enough (a few stiff drinks poured by Proserpina for the hubby might just do the trick):D

Proserpina

You don't but the hubby will when he sees the credit card statement. He did tell me earlier in the day to buy whatever I wanted when I went to the jewelry party I attended. I think I can make a new Dooney & Burke look like a pair of earrings or a bracelet if I try hard enough (a few stiff drinks poured by Proserpina for the hubby might just do the trick):D

Does it contain ANY sparkly and/or metallic component at all?

Yes?

Then it classes as jewelry.

*cough*

Ahem.

Truly, it does.

Honest!

Hrm. I'll go work on those drinks LOL

OP - please don't be offended by our little hijack here :)

What your biological father needs to do is simply file an adoption petition in court. Because you're all adults this shouldn't be too difficult at all but I'd still advise at least an initial consult with a local adoption attorney just to make sure it's all done correctly.

Antigone*

Yes?

*cough*

Ahem.

Truly, it does.

Honest!

What your biological father needs to do is simply file an adoption petition in court. Because you're all adults this shouldn't be too difficult at all but I'd still advise at least an initial consult with a local adoption attorney just to make sure it's all done correctly.

Here's the problem with that Pro. She said she had her biological father's family's support. Not her biological father's support. There is something we don't know here.

Even so, it would truly be a legally futile exercise, since she really is her own woman now.

mistoffolees

Yes?

*cough*

Ahem.

Truly, it does.

Honest!

Geez, you people aren't very creative.

Tell hubby it's a new tool belt for him. He obviously won't want it, so he'll throw it in the trash and you can grab it.

I am curious as to what the OP hopes to accomplish...
I was wondering the same thing. What is the point of an adult adoption-other than sending a message?

Proserpina

Here's the problem with that Pro. She said she had her biological father's family's support. Not her biological father's support. There is something we don't know here.

Even so, it would truly be a legally futile exercise, since she really is her own woman now.

Oh, snap.

You're absolutely right - I missed that completely!
:eek:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I was wondering the same thing. What is the point of an adult adoption-other than sending a message?
There ARE reasons to do it...estate planning comes in to mind. However, if that was among the reasons, I'm sure it would have been mentioned.

Proserpina

Geez, you people aren't very creative.

Tell hubby it's a new tool belt for him. He obviously won't want it, so he'll throw it in the trash and you can grab it.

Money.

BioDad has a bigger purse, perhaps...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">