• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reversing a Step-Parent Adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LynnMarie1983

What is the name of your state? Adopted in Washington state in 1987.
Born in Canada.

I was born in Canada and adopted by my stepfather when I was four years old in Washington state. My story is very similar to many others I have already read. I would like to reverse the adoption process that took place 20 years ago. I have had no contact with my adoptive father for the past ten years. Can adoptions be reversed in Canada, or will I need to have my biological father readopt me? Al the threads seem to relate to American law, not Canadian. Would i need to go through Washington state or would I go through Canada?

My biological father is a Canadian citizen.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

L

Just Blue

As you read on other threads, you can't undo an adoption. But you could be readopted by your bio-father.

nextwife

As you read on other threads, you can't undo an adoption. But you could be readopted by your bio-father.
Please, a "re-adoption" is NOT the same thing. He needs to be adopted by his biodad (which would make biodad the SOLE parent. Biodad NEVER "adopted" the poster, so this would NOT be a re-adoption. Just as one cannot undo their bioparentage if they fall out of communication with a bioparent, they can they undo adoptive parentage.

My daughter was "readopted" and it had nothing to do with bioparent or undoing an adoption.

Just an FYI. THIS is readoption. It has nothing to do with reversing an adoption:

http://www.jcics.org/Readoption.htm

Readopting Your Child From Overseas

Under US Citizenship and Immigration Services (CIS) regulations, children who were not seen by all relevant parents prior to their overseas adoptions are not considered to have full and final adoptions. They must be readopted in the state where they will be residing. This rule applies even in cases where the foreign country considers such adoptions final. One implication of the US CIS position is that children who were not seen by all relevant parents prior to their overseas adoptions cannot be considered automatic citizens until readoption occurs. Children who were seen by all relevant parents will have been issued IR-3 visa and will be eligible for automatic citizenship. Children who were not seen by all relevant parents prior to the overseas adoption will have been issued IR-4 visas, and are required by US CIS to be readopted before becoming citizens. Once a re-adoption is completed in a State court, parents can request a birth certificate be issued from the State's Department of Vital Statistics.

Although US CIS does not require readoption for children who were seen by all relevant parents prior to their overseas adoptions, and who traveled home on IR-3 visas, Joint Council recommends readoption in these cases. One reason is that U.S. adoption documents are much more easily replaced than foreign ones if they are lost or destroyed. They are also more recognizable by schools and other organizations to which they may be presented. In addition, readoption may make it easier for families to change their children's foreign names and to obtain state birth certificates for them. Some attorneys feel that readoption could help to protect a child's inheritance rights.

Readoption is a state function, and procedures are not uniform among the states. Parents may obtain information about readoption from their state court system or via their Joint Council member local service (homestudy) agency or placement agency. Families should recognize that some states have readoption requirements such as post-placement visits and/or the updating of some documents, such as child abuse and police clearances.

In some states, procedures for readoption are fairly simple, and a family may feel that using an attorney is not necessary. In others, using an attorney is advisable. Local service agencies may be able to provide the names of attorneys familiar with readoption cases, but families may also contact their State Bar Association or the American Academy of Adoption Attorneys.

Just Blue

Please, a "re-adoption" is NOT the same thing. He needs to be adopted by his biodad (which would make biodad the SOLE parent. Biodad NEVER "adopted" the poster, so this would NOT be a re-adoption. Just as one cannot undo their bioparentage if they fall out of communication with a bioparent, they can they undo adoptive parentage.

My daughter was "readopted" and it had nothing to do with bioparent or undoing an adoption.
Sorry...I mistyped!!

ajs09876

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question...

:confused:Why does OP want to reverse an adoption that happend 20 years ago when she was 4. That makes her 24, does it really matter who legally her dad is? Am I missing something?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">