• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reversing stepparent adoption- *Special Circumstances*

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

d_razorback

What is the name of your state? This case is from Arkansas

Now before any of you start jumping down my throat left me first say that this is not about me. I know to many of you this will sound distasteful. But, I'm currently married, have my own two children and I am merely trying to find some information for a friend. So here we go:

A friend of mine from school has been married somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 years. His wife had 2 children of her own when they married. After approximately 2 years of marriage they had a child of their own. During their marriage my friends wife constantly asked him to adopt her children from the previous marriage. Finally after years of talking about it they finally started taking the steps to make it happen. First, they had the bio-father's rights terminated for abondanment. In the meantime the couple started having some serious relationship problems. Mom had recently decided she wanted to go out every night and party while leaving her kids with anyone that would take them. Call him selfish but mom out partying while he was at work and leaving the kids with whomever she pleased didn't sit right with dad.

So my friend purposely drug his feet on the adoption waiting to see what would happen with the relationship. Before the adoption hearing they both sat down and discussed following through with the adoption. My friend was concerned that his wife might have something up her sleeve. As ugly as it sounds she is like that. He was afraid that since she knew the bio-father would never be able to pay child support since he was in the penitentiary that she might be trying to make sure she could make him pay it since she knows he has always had steady employment. Again let me say I know this sounds terrible but apparently there really are people out there like this.

After discussing their relationship together my friend told his wife that he did not want to follow through with the adoption if the relationship was going to fall apart soon thereafter. She assured him that she was committed to making the relationship work so they continued with the adoption process. My friend's parents strongly advised him against going through with it because they seemed to think that she was just trying to find someone to support her financially. They even refused to testify as character witnesses at the adoption proceedings.

The adoption hearing was held and my friend adopted his wife's two children from the previous marriage. But as it turns out my friend's parents were correct in their thinking. The adoption decree was dated April 25th and on May 4th my friends wife told him that she wasn't happy and wanted him to leave. This is on top of them just purchasing a house and a new car together. I told you this was a nasty one!

So although reversing the adoption may not be the most moral thing to do, it's obvious that his wife had these intentions all along. Now he wants to get out of the adoption and fight for custody of his biological child. So now for my question: Does anyone know of a time frame for setting aside or reversing a stepparent adoption?

Also let me say, my friend DID make a mistake in agreeing to adopt these children in the first place. He was advised against it. He seemed to think it meant nothing more than them having his name and keeping the bio-father from coming into their life at a later date. He obviously did not understand what the real purpose of adoption is. But the mother is using her own children as a pawn to gain financial support from him. I mean come on, what a coincidence that she decides to split up not even two weeks after getting the adoption granted.

With all that said does anyone have any advice for me to give my friend besides to quit being so naive?What is the name of your state?

Just Blue

If your friend would like to come on here and post his own thread I will be happy to advise him...YOU however get squat from this "redneck". Your unmitigated audacity in asking for help from this forum after the ignorant, insulting comments you made is incredible!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I, for one, feel it's sad that this guy wants to dump HIS CHILDREN just because he's having problems with his wife. I hope he DOES end up paying the maximum amount in child support for HIS CHILDREN.

mommyof4

I have tired to make myself post an answer to this OP's question, but I just can't.

'Sides, this here dadburn redneck proly ain't got no i-dee wut I talkin' 'bout, eny dang ways.

Silverplum

Thank you for all your help! All of you that posted a reply just proved my point. Get a life. I am done with this redneck forum. I hope all of your meth labs explode in your face.

By the way, my friend has an attorney and has had one all along. He just hasn't heard anything yet since he is in the beginning of the process. He also thanks you all for the boneheaded remarks. You gotta love those internet tough guys! lol
For posterity.

And what the heck, here's the first:
What is the name of your state? This case is from Arkansas

Now before any of you start jumping down my throat left me first say that this is not about me. I know to many of you this will sound distasteful. But, I'm currently married, have my own two children and I am merely trying to find some information for a friend. So here we go:

A friend of mine from school has been married somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 years. His wife had 2 children of her own when they married. After approximately 2 years of marriage they had a child of their own. During their marriage my friends wife constantly asked him to adopt her children from the previous marriage. Finally after years of talking about it they finally started taking the steps to make it happen. First, they had the bio-father's rights terminated for abondanment. In the meantime the couple started having some serious relationship problems. Mom had recently decided she wanted to go out every night and party while leaving her kids with anyone that would take them. Call him selfish but mom out partying while he was at work and leaving the kids with whomever she pleased didn't sit right with dad.

So my friend purposely drug his feet on the adoption waiting to see what would happen with the relationship. Before the adoption hearing they both sat down and discussed following through with the adoption. My friend was concerned that his wife might have something up her sleeve. As ugly as it sounds she is like that. He was afraid that since she knew the bio-father would never be able to pay child support since he was in the penitentiary that she might be trying to make sure she could make him pay it since she knows he has always had steady employment. Again let me say I know this sounds terrible but apparently there really are people out there like this.

After discussing their relationship together my friend told his wife that he did not want to follow through with the adoption if the relationship was going to fall apart soon thereafter. She assured him that she was committed to making the relationship work so they continued with the adoption process. My friend's parents strongly advised him against going through with it because they seemed to think that she was just trying to find someone to support her financially. They even refused to testify as character witnesses at the adoption proceedings.

The adoption hearing was held and my friend adopted his wife's two children from the previous marriage. But as it turns out my friend's parents were correct in their thinking. The adoption decree was dated April 25th and on May 4th my friends wife told him that she wasn't happy and wanted him to leave. This is on top of them just purchasing a house and a new car together. I told you this was a nasty one!

So although reversing the adoption may not be the most moral thing to do, it's obvious that his wife had these intentions all along. Now he wants to get out of the adoption and fight for custody of his biological child. So now for my question: Does anyone know of a time frame for setting aside or reversing a stepparent adoption?

Also let me say, my friend DID make a mistake in agreeing to adopt these children in the first place. He was advised against it. He seemed to think it meant nothing more than them having his name and keeping the bio-father from coming into their life at a later date. He obviously did not understand what the real purpose of adoption is. But the mother is using her own children as a pawn to gain financial support from him. I mean come on, what a coincidence that she decides to split up not even two weeks after getting the adoption granted.

With all that said does anyone have any advice for me to give my friend besides to quit being so naive?What is the name of your state?

mommyof4

I am done with this redneck forum
Can we have written, notarized guarantee of your statement?

You will note that we didn't say we wouldn't answer DAD. We said we wouldn't answer YOU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">