• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sealed Birth Certificate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildros7

What is the name of your state? ohio

I was born in ohio in 1961 my parents who were unmarried moved to California and split up when I was about 2yrs old. My mom married shortly after and her and my stepfather changed my birth certificate to reflect him as my father. They have been telling me that they just sent away some forms in order to have my name and name of father changed both my mother and step father have said that my stepfather never adopted me. I now have a relationship with my real father and have been trying to get my real Birth certificate. I was recently told that my Birth records were sealed. Could someone please tell me if there are any other reasons other than adoption that my Birth records would be sealed.

fairisfair

I don't know about the any reason other than adoption that would cause the records to be sealed, but even if they are, your mother should be able to get the copy, if she is in fact your biological mother. How did you find your bio dad?

wildros7

sealed birth records

My whole life I kept saying Dad isn't my real Dad I don't know how I knew but I did. When I was about 22 My Mom had found my real Dad and finally told me the truth. My real Dad also say's he never gave me up for adoption. I remember being told at one time by either my stepdad or mom that a crooked judge was paid off and that was how records were changed, my mom is denying that, that happened and say's they just sent in papers for a name change. I am not dumb enough to believe that, especially now when I have found out that the records were sealed. I am going to have my real Dad and Mom fill out an affidavit of release and hopefully that will shine some light on what has happened. But first I wanted to make sure that the only reason to have birth records sealed was because of adoption.

fairisfair

wildros7 said:
My whole life I kept saying Dad isn't my real Dad I don't know how I knew but I did. When I was about 22 My Mom had found my real Dad and finally told me the truth. My real Dad also say's he never gave me up for adoption. I remember being told at one time by either my stepdad or mom that a crooked judge was paid off and that was how records were changed, my mom is denying that, that happened and say's they just sent in papers for a name change. I am not dumb enough to believe that, especially now when I have found out that the records were sealed. I am going to have my real Dad and Mom fill out an affidavit of release and hopefully that will shine some light on what has happened. But first I wanted to make sure that the only reason to have birth records sealed was because of adoption.
Your real (bio) dad may be able to get the birth certificate as well, according to the law I read regarding sealed adoption records, adoption records for persons born before 1964 in ohio are accessible to the bio parents through vital statistics, or you may even be able to get it yourself. Here is a link that may help you
http://www.lsc.state.oh.us/membersonly/123adoptees.pdf
But really, if you have a relationship with dad, does it really matter what the birth certificate says? Are you are pissed at mom and SF ? Is that your motivation? You know, no matter what you can't change the past, neither can they. However rotten or fishy it may have been.

wildros7

sealed Birth records

No, it is not that I am pissed off. It is that it belongs to me it is the facts regarding my birth it depicts who I really am. This is nothing that anyone could understand unless it has happened to them. I want the truth for once in my life and this represents the truth which was denied to me.Thank you very much for your help.

fairisfair

i don't blame you a bit, I would want to know too.

Open your private messages for happy trails, he/she probably has good info for you. I think you scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and turn ON the IMG.

Good Luck, by the way, are the records supposed to be in Ohio, or are they maybe in California?

fairisfair

Happy Trails said:
Look at the top, right, side corner. You'll see your name, undeneath it has a link to your private messages, click on that.
I don't know about him/her , but I sure can't find mine. all it gives me is the option to edit my profile and add someone to my buddy list.

Happy Trails

fairisfair said:
I don't know about him/her , but I sure can't find mine. all it gives me is the option to edit my profile and add someone to my buddy list.
Try gong to your user profile. You can also try to PM me and see if you can enable it there.

Wildros7 was successful at enabling her/his PM's.

Happy Trails

Depending on what state the adoption was finalized in, you could request from that state a petition to have your records unsealed. In some states, each county has a specific form that they use. If this is the case then you would ask the court where the adoption was finalized for their specific form. Some of these forms can be found on line. If you can't find it on line, then you'll have to try what I suggested above.

fairisfair

Happy Trails said:
Try gong to your user profile. You can also try to PM me and see if you can enable it there.

Wildros7 was successful at enabling her/his PM's.
thanks happy, I found it by going to the edit profile section. It is just nice to know where it is.

wildros7

fairisfair said:
i don't blame you a bit, I would want to know too.

Open your private messages for happy trails, he/she probably has good info for you. I think you scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and turn ON the IMG.

Good Luck, by the way, are the records supposed to be in Ohio, or are they maybe in California?
I am really notr sure I have just assumed that they were in Ohio because that was where I was born and when I called the vital statistics office they were the ones that informed me that my records were sealed. It was strange because my dad had called and they told him that they had no records with my birth name on them. My mom and step father were living here in California when this all happened and they say that he never adopted me. I printed out 2 Authorizations for release one for my Mom and one for My dad I plan on having them both fill one out and then I will mail them in. Then at least I will know where I need to start in order to get my Birth Certificate changed back.

wildros7

Update on sealed Birth Records

This was the response I recieved from a supervisor at Vital statistics what I don't understand is why they seal these records. I was told that I probably can't have them unselaed because I am over the age of 23.I Will be speaking with a court magistrate next.

Your original record is sealed but it was not because of adoption. Your original record list your mom and dad as married. Your mother then filed an affidavit of correction removing your father and all his data. Once that was completed, your mother and Mr. Ellis completed a notarized Declaration of Paternity Affidavit stating that he was your father and that he was married to your mother. This is how your record got to it’s current state. There is no adoption on file. Unfortunately, paternities in the State of Ohio are sealed and only the probate court can order them to be opened. My advise would be to contact the probate court in Franklin county and inquire about requesting a court ordered correction to your record. They are relatively inexpensive and can be done by mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">