• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Senior US Citizen adopting foreign adult

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wandoubaby

Hello. I know of a Chinese old lady who is over 80 years old now. She is a U.S. citizen who resided in DC and/or NY. She has no husband or children. Recently she has been considering of adopting a young lady from China whom she liked and knew very well. The young lady is a 23-year-old who has been close to the old lady's family. The young lady's mother was a long-time student under the old lady's sibling decades ago. They are not related by blood, but they had lived together a long time ago.

My questions are:

1. Is it possible for the old lady to adopt the 23-year-old foreign young lady if both parties consented (including her biological parents)? If so, what procedures do they need to take? What documents or materials do they need to show?

2. If the young lady wants to come to the U.S. to stay and take care of the old lady, how could she do so? Would she be eligible for applying for a green card or does she need to apply for a certain visa? How does the naturalization work for the young lady in this case?

Please contact me soon. Thank you.

Last edited:

nextwife

Hello. I know of a Chinese old lady who is over 80 years old now. She is a U.S. citizen who resided in DC and/or NY. She has no husband or children. Recently she has been considering of adopting a young lady from China whom she liked and knew very well. The young lady is a 23-year-old who has been close to the old lady's family. The young lady's mother was a long-time student under the old lady's sibling decades ago. They are not related by blood, but they had lived together a long time ago.

My questions are:

1. Is it possible for the old lady to adopt the 23-year-old foreign young lady if both parties consented (including her biological parents)? If so, what procedures do they need to take? What documents or materials do they need to show?

2. If the young lady wants to come to the U.S. to stay and take care of the old lady, how could she do so? Would she be eligible for applying for a green card or does she need to apply for a certain visa? How does the naturalization work for the young lady in this case?

Please contact me soon. Thank you.
The adoption is not a problem, and can be done. However, an international adoption of an adult does not affect immigration status, and the party will need to apply for a visa and permanent residency status the same as anyone else. Certainly, of the adoptive parent is financially stable and capable of acting as a sponsor, they would then also sponsor. But adult adoption gives no special status to an adult visa applicant.

wandoubaby

The adoption is not a problem, and can be done. However, an international adoption of an adult does not affect immigration status, and the party will need to apply for a visa and permanent residency status the same as anyone else. Certainly, of the adoptive parent is financially stable and capable of acting as a sponsor, they would then also sponsor. But adult adoption gives no special status to an adult visa applicant.
Would the adoption need to be done on both sides of the country? I know the old lady is currently living in China right now. Does she still need to sign some documents if she is to return to the States?

And about the second question, again, how would you suggest for the young lady to come? Is a tourist visa the best choice, or is it possible for her to apply for premenent residency?

candg918

The adoption would not be a basis for any immigration benefit. The adoption would likely prevent her from obtaining a tourist visa since it would be difficult to overcome immigrant intent since it certainly appears that is the motive for the adoption.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">