• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Senior US Citizen adopting foreign born Adult residing in US

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kalan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Is it possible to legally adopt a foreign born Adult who is 26 years old. The foreign born is residing in USA for the past three years on a student visa. We are US Citizens, does he is able to apply for work permit once he was legally adopted? How long does the process takes up usually?? Thanks in advance.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Is it possible to legally adopt a foreign born Adult who is 26 years old. The foreign born is residing in USA for the past three years on a student visa. We are US Citizens, does he is able to apply for work permit once he was legally adopted? How long does the process takes up usually?? Thanks in advance.

You can go ahead with an adult adoption, yes, but he will NOT be able to adjust his status based upon the adoption.

Sorry - he's going to need to find another way to become a permanent resident.

kalan

Thank you Proserpina,I have the following questions?
1. How to start the adult adoption process?
2. How to adjust the visa status of the adoptee?
Thanks in advance

Proserpina

Thank you Proserpina,I have the following questions?
1. How to start the adult adoption process?
2. How to adjust the visa status of the adoptee?
Thanks in advance

I'm sorry, I don't think you understood what I meant :(

Even if you adopt him - he CANNOT adjust his status based upon the adoption. He cannot become a permanent resident unless he finds another way.

You're absolutely free to go ahead with adoption process anyway - speak with a local adoption attorney who can guide you further. But please understand that he will not be able to get any immigration benefits.

kalan

I got you what you said? My question is after adoption can we able to file to immigration office as a Immediate Relative in order to get permanent resident status?
Thank you again

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I got you what you said? My question is after adoption can we able to file to immigration office as a Immediate Relative in order to get permanent resident status?
Thank you again
I'm sorry, I don't think you understood what I meant :(

Even if you adopt him - he CANNOT adjust his status based upon the adoption. He cannot become a permanent resident unless he finds another way.

You're absolutely free to go ahead with adoption process anyway - speak with a local adoption attorney who can guide you further. But please understand that he will not be able to get any immigration benefits.

Are you sure you got what she said?? :cool:

Proserpina

Thank you again

No, you cannot.

Adult adoptees are NOT afforded the same rights as minor adoptees.

I'm sorry - I don't know how else to say it or what else to say, except "Please speak with a local immigration attorney".

They're going to tell you the exact same thing.

Please read this thread, it might help:

https://forum.freeadvice.com/adoption-34/please-help-international-adult-adoption-334520.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">