• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sibling visitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

alicali

I hope someone can help me. My 3 little brothers, ages 10,10,and 12, were taken from my mother and stepfather apprx 7 years ago for neglect. I was 13 and had already moved in with my grandparents by choice. My stepfather's mother and father became the legal guardians of the boys. The boys and I are very close, I feel more like their mother than sister. They live in Florida and I live in California, but I see them at least twice a year, and for the past 2 summers they were allowed to fly out here to see me. Their summer visits are wonderful, because we really get to spend quality time together. It feels like the family that we were supposed to be, we make each other very happy. Their grandfather recently passed away, and their grandmother is 72. On a recent visit realized that the boys are not doing as well as "Betty" had led me to believe.I'm a nanny and also work as a volunteer crisis counselor, and I tried to talk with her about their behavior problems, bad grades, emotional issues. She became very upset(angry) when I expressed my concern. After that , she really pulled away from me, telling me she didn't think it was a good idea for the boys to stay with me this summer. This is horrible, because I have summers off and paid with my job. When her husband passed away, she immediatly filed for adoption. She is now very cold towards me, and in addition to not letting the boys come here, she's not letting me come for 2 weeks in August like we had agreed. She says I can come for 4 days on Thanksgiving. The boys and I are very upset. Now finally, the question. In Florida, theres a law in Chpt 63 regarding sibling visitation during an adoption. In general, it states that a judge can decide whether or not there should be sibling visitation if he/she thinks it's in the childs best interest.I need to somehow become a part of the adoption proceedings, I guess by filing a petition. So that's my question, how do I make it known to the judge that I am an interested sibling? THis is so difficult because I'm all the way out in California.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">