• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Signing away parental right.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sassiuki

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Long story short- I was a sperm donor for friends of mine (female couple) who wanted to have a second child. After I agreed- I went back on my word of stating I would sign away my parental right and filed for paternity- which was established.
Obviously since I had established my parental right- my friend (the non-bio parent) can not adopt this child.
I want to know what the process involves to sign away my parental right so that my friend (the non bio parent) can start the process of legally adopting this child.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

momofrose

I assume you donated your sperm without the novelty of legal representation Also - what made you have paternity established if you had no desire to parent this child?

Sassiuki

I had legal representation when filing for paternity but not prior to the birth of the child.
As for my reasons for establishing paternity- this is not the forum for that.
But once again- the question that I am asking is what is the process for signing away my parental rights.
Thank you.

momofrose

I meant legal representation when you donated your sperm. In any case - since gay adoption is legal in NY, it is apossibility- but you need an adoption lawyer and try to find one that specializes in gay adoption. In the meantime, if mom wants to she can sue you for child support.

BTW I asked why you changed your mind and filed for paternity is with regard to your again changing your mind when signng away your parental rights...so it IS actually the forum for that.

Sassiuki

Please do not take offense to what I had said about this not being the forum to air my reasons for changing my mind... what I meant to convey is that those are personal reasons and I would rather not air those reasons here in a public forum.
As far as child support- once paternity was established-child support was then ordered. Which I have been paying which is NOT the reason why I am deciding to give up my parental right.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">