• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Signing over parental rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

flom7

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Idaho

My ex-husband is willing to sign over his parental rights and I'm willing to let him (not sure it has any bearing but my ex resides in WA state). My question is this: Will my boyfriend have to adopt my son (to assume any financial responsibility to the state that may arise, etc.) or would our being in agreement be "enough"? Can my boyfriend even adopt my son--or do he and I have to be married?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Idaho

My ex-husband is willing to sign over his parental rights and I'm willing to let him (not sure it has any bearing but my ex resides in WA state). My question is this: Will my boyfriend have to adopt my son (to assume any financial responsibility to the state that may arise, etc.) or would our being in agreement be "enough"? Can my boyfriend even adopt my son--or do he and I have to be married?
You would have to be married (at least a year) before your spouse could adopt. Parental rights cannot be signed over until that happens, because the state wants two parents responsible for support, not just one.

flom7

Thank you for your reply, you've definitely given me a solid "start" point. ....Which at this point is also a stopping one. But now I know!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">