• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Single Parent Adoption- Now married- Is he legal father?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RainyGirl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland
I adopted my son as a single parent. I am now married. My husband isn't 'stepfather' since my son technically didn't have a father. Does my husband still have to go through adoption proceedings? What about giving my son his last name? How do I go about making my son my husbands legal son also? Please help!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland
I adopted my son as a single parent. I am now married. My husband isn't 'stepfather' since my son technically didn't have a father. Does my husband still have to go through adoption proceedings? What about giving my son his last name? How do I go about making my son my husbands legal son also? Please help!
Your husband IS 'stepfather"...he married the child's mother.

What do you think happens to widows who remarry?

nextwife

How long have you been married? Does your husband agree to becoming legally responsible for your child?

Yes, he IS stepdad.

RainyGirl

What do you think happens to widows who remarry?[/QUOTE]

The children of widowers still had a 'legal' father. f

RainyGirl

How long have you been married? Does your husband agree to becoming legally responsible for your child?

Yes, he IS stepdad.

It will be a year in October that we've been married. yes, he wants nothing more than to be legally responsible for him.
And of course adoptive parents are 'real' parents... not sure where that came from!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The children of widowers still had a 'legal' father. f
The operative word being "HAD". A widower is in much the same position you are. Your husband is the STEP-father of the child.

Step-father: The husband of one's biological mother, other than one's biological father, especially following the divorce or death of the father
(en.wiktionary.org/wiki/stepfather)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">