• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

a sister's biological rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bigsisof2

What is the name of your state? Ohio

my dad gave up his rights on my 2 sisters.....they were from his 2nd marriage. their mother wont let me send them letters or anything. her new husband has adopted them. do i have any rights as their biological sister?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

bigsisof2 said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio

my dad gave up his rights on my 2 sisters.....they were from his 2nd marriage. their mother wont let me send them letters or anything. her new husband has adopted them. do i have any rights as their biological sister?

My response:

You have no rights. These are not your children, and even though they are your half-siblings, you're still a 3rd party who is not entitled to visitation unless the bio-parent allows it. A bio-parent is the only person who has the legal right to allow, or disallow, visitation. The constitutional principles under the U.S. Supreme Court decision in Troxel vs. Granville apply where a sibling of the child seeks visitation: Absent compelling facts overcoming the presumption that a "fit" parent is acting in the child's best interest, awarding sibling visitation over the surviving parent's objection unconstitutionally infringes upon the parent's fundamental liberty interest.

Sorry, but you're out of luck.

IAAL

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">