• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Social secuirty card for child that has no legal name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spencer40

Louisiana, I am presently living in Louisiana however I moved from Houston, Texas 10 months a go. I am in the process of adopting my 3 year old daughter. I brought her home from the hospital. She has lived with me all of her life. This is the problem. I have been unable to get a social security card for my child. She does not have a legal name. In the hospital the bio mother said she signed up for a social security card as well as putting her name on the birth certificate. She did not do either. Now she does not have a legal name and she does not have a social security number. I have not been have to get her into school or any thing of this nature. She will be 4 years old in June of 2006 and I am so afraid she will not be able to get into school and fall behind. I have been out of work for over a year. I started working again 3 weeks ago. I really don't have the financial means at this time for an attorney. I am a single parent living with my mother at this time.
Any advice and help would be welcomed.
Thanks,
Shelia

rmet4nzkx

spencer40 said:
Louisiana, I am presently living in Louisiana however I moved from Houston, Texas 10 months a go. I am in the process of adopting my 3 year old daughter. I brought her home from the hospital. She has lived with me all of her life. This is the problem. I have been unable to get a social security card for my child. She does not have a legal name. In the hospital the bio mother said she signed up for a social security card as well as putting her name on the birth certificate. She did not do either. Now she does not have a legal name and she does not have a social security number. I have not been have to get her into school or any thing of this nature. She will be 4 years old in June of 2006 and I am so afraid she will not be able to get into school and fall behind. I have been out of work for over a year. I started working again 3 weeks ago. I really don't have the financial means at this time for an attorney. I am a single parent living with my mother at this time.
Any advice and help would be welcomed.
Thanks,
Shelia
Shelia, how is it that you came by this child? You state that the bio mom claimed to have signed up for the SS card and birth certificate, how did you legally leave the hospital without a copy of the birth certificate and SS application. What has SSA said? Was this child relinquished for adoption, if so was there any paperwork? Guardianship? DO you know or have contact with the mother? Is there a social worker, attorney or agency involved? If you are single and living with your mom, how did you qualify for adoption?

Ariel1974

response

It sounds like you have had the child but never legally adopted her. If she had been you would have legal rights to pick a name and apply for her SS #. You should contact your county, look in a phone book under Social Services-Adoptions. If you have had the child in your care or birth mother gave her up to you then you need to complete the adoption process. Most counties will not charge you and will help you. You made to go through a process. At this time your daughter is basically more of a foster child in a unlicensed home. Once conty steps in they can get you whatever is necessary to start school. Also, public schools can not deny your child an education, there are ways around it. You really need to legally adopt your child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">