• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

son changing his last name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kcrowell

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN
My son is 18 and has had no contact with his bio dad for almost 5 years. He wants to change his last name to his step fathers. He and his girlfriend who is 21 are going to have a baby, can they use the step fathers last name for the baby if the baby is born before my son can get his last name changed. The mother refuses to use her last name as she does not get along with her parents.

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN
My son is 18 and has had no contact with his bio dad for almost 5 years. He wants to change his last name to his step fathers. He and his girlfriend who is 21 are going to have a baby, can they use the step fathers last name for the baby if the baby is born before my son can get his last name changed. The mother refuses to use her last name as she does not get along with her parents.
last i checked, you can pretty much name your child whatever you want. first and last name.

well...maybe. i do remember a case on one set of parents naming their child Adolf Hitler in the southern states. CPS picked up that child.

If your step son would like to change his last name to yours, he can apply for a name change. Until he has the courts approval he can not legally change his name.

As far as the unborn child, the pp already answered that.

frylover

I acually know of a child who was born to married parents who chose to give him a last name different from both of their own. Just sorta pulled the name out of thin air!

crazyby5

last i checked, you can pretty much name your child whatever you want. first and last name.

well...maybe. i do remember a case on one set of parents naming their child Adolf Hitler in the southern states. CPS picked up that child.
Actually, those parents were in New Jersey. They also had 2 younger daughters whose names had **** connotations. I thought it was Ohio, but googled it and the article said NJ. Not everyone down here is a bigot...there are plenty up north, too!!

Isis1

Actually, those parents were in New Jersey. They also had 2 younger daughters whose names had **** connotations. I thought it was Ohio, but googled it and the article said NJ. Not everyone down here is a bigot...there are plenty up north, too!!
i could have sworn it was texas or alabama.....:eek: my bad. there goes my uptenth geography lesson.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">