• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is step brother relly adopted?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CryingDaughter

What is the name of your state?New York

My father just passed away 11 days ago. My father was remarried and I have a living Step Mother. She had a son she brought into the marriage.

My father adopted my step brother when he married his mother. They persued my step brothers father for the adoption by going to a lawyer and putting an ad in the newspaper asking his real father for permission because no one had seen his father in years. Well now that my father passed we just found out yesterday that the person my father thought was his father was not and they have found the real father..

My Question:
Is the adoption legal? My step mother and step brother were very evil to my father, even torturing him. I would like to find out if the adoption was legal because if it wasnt I want to persue it.

Thanks in advance,,,,

rt2busi

im not sure but i think you can get that info through public record in the court house, you will have to pay for that though. i know in my state which is pennsylvania a person can go to the court house :

BelizeBreeze

CryingDaughter said:
What is the name of your state?New York

My father just passed away 11 days ago. My father was remarried and I have a living Step Mother. She had a son she brought into the marriage.

My father adopted my step brother when he married his mother. They persued my step brothers father for the adoption by going to a lawyer and putting an ad in the newspaper asking his real father for permission because no one had seen his father in years. Well now that my father passed we just found out yesterday that the person my father thought was his father was not and they have found the real father..

My Question:
Is the adoption legal? My step mother and step brother were very evil to my father, even torturing him. I would like to find out if the adoption was legal because if it wasnt I want to persue it.

Thanks in advance,,,,
The fact that the adoption 'noticed' the wrong man won't matter. Under New York's Domestic Relations statutes Article 7, Title 1 (111), permission of the mother of a child born out-of=wedlock is all that is required to adopt.

Permission of the father of a child born out-of-wedlock is required only if
"...only if such father shall have maintained substantial
and continuous or repeated contact with the child as manifested by: (i)
the payment by the father toward the support of the child of a fair and
reasonable sum, according to the father's means, and either (ii) the
father's visiting the child at least monthly when physically and
financially able to do so and not prevented from doing so by the person
or authorized agency having lawful custody of the child, or (iii) the
father's regular communication with the child or with the person or
agency having the care or custody of the child, when physically and
financially unable to visit the child or prevented from doing so by the
person or authorized agency having lawful custody of the child."

T

titansfan

let your parents work it out

dont worry about it-you were not a party to the adoption. its between your parents and the birthfather, and not really your concern.

BlondiePB

titansfan said:
dont worry about it-you were not a party to the adoption. its between your parents and the birthfather, and not really your concern.
Oh, really?? The concern is about money. The father died. :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">