• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step dad wants to adopt step daughter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nmkreatz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? missouri

My fiance and I are going to marry this month and we want him to adopt my oldest daughter(7) who's bio father is in minnesota and willing to sign over rights, however our funds are low and we are not sure how to go about it. All in all her best interest is what we are looking for and that also includes changing her name to match the rest of us! How and what do i need to do to get this done?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? missouri

My fiance and I are going to marry this month and we want him to adopt my oldest daughter(7) who's bio father is in minnesota and willing to sign over rights, however our funds are low and we are not sure how to go about it. All in all her best interest is what we are looking for and that also includes changing her name to match the rest of us! How and what do i need to do to get this done?
You do realize that an adoption is much more than simply changing the child's last name? You do realize that an adoption will make your fiance your child's legal father, forever, even if you divorce?

Adoption is not a DIY project. You will need an attorney to do that, and you will probably need to be married for at least a year first, before starting the process.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">