• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step dad wants to become legal guardian

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shanshark

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I recently re-married and have one 7 yr old son. My husband would like to add him to his health insurance, but was told he would have to adopt my son or become legal guardian. The bio dad is not in the picture at all. He doesn't pay support and he hasn't contacted his son in more than 2 years. This said, he is unlikely to consent to giving up his parental rights.

What do we have to do to get my son health insurance? Is the fact that my husband is supporting us enough to establish guardianship? Do we have to go to court to make it legal? I want to fix this as quickly as possible because my son has an ongoing medical condition and we no longer qualify for Medi-Cal now that I am remarried.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Antigone*

I recently re-married and have one 7 yr old son. My husband would like to add him to his health insurance, but was told he would have to adopt my son or become legal guardian. The bio dad is not in the picture at all. He doesn't pay support and he hasn't contacted his son in more than 2 years. This said, he is unlikely to consent to giving up his parental rights.

What do we have to do to get my son health insurance? Is the fact that my husband is supporting us enough to establish guardianship? Do we have to go to court to make it legal? I want to fix this as quickly as possible because my son has an ongoing medical condition and we no longer qualify for Medi-Cal now that I am remarried.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
What type of health insurance is this? Is this a group policy through your husband's employer?

asiny

Unsure on CA, but I am located in NJ - married with a step-daughter. At one time both her and my wife were covered under my policy. I never, legally, adopted her (even though I have raised her since she was 6 [now 22]), and her biological father was in the picture (eventually).
Not once did my insurance carrier refuse her based on my not legally adopting her.

Banned_Princess

Here in NY (since you are ignoring the state in the first place, last poster) To be added to a non parents policy, guardianship or custody is a requirement to add child.

Maybe OP can try to get the kid some state coverage that she pays into.

Isis1

i can promise you, none of this will happen as quicky as possible. it's court. and you will have to do this legally.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">