• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

step daughter adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

toad3773

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I have an 8 year old step daughter. Her father died before she was born and none of her bio father's family want anything to do with her. She was born in Nebraska and we have since moved to North Carolina. She currently has her mother's maiden name for her last name. I would like to both legally adopt her and get her last name changed so it is the same as her mother's and sisters'. Please tell me the quickest and easiest way to do this. I would really prefer not to have to pay a lawyer.

seniorjudge

Adoption is not a do-it-yourself deal. You must hire a lawyer to get this done. This is a very big deal and no judge in his right mind would let you do it without a lawyer.

toad3773

I guess I don't see it as that big of a deal, the only thing that would really change would be her last name. I am the only father she has ever known. I have been with her since she was born (her mother and I were friends) and their are no outside parties interested or involved. The only reason we waited so long is I wanted it to be her decision and so I wanted to wait until she could fully understand the situation. I was just hoping it could be a fairly easy process.

brisgirl825

Since there is no bio-parent to serve and TPR, it will be an easier and less expensive venture than the typical SP adoption. However, as SJ said, adoption, no matter how uncomplicated, should never be done w/o an atty.
Shop around for lawyers that offer free consults and see what they will charge. If you don't have the money right now, tax season is around the corner and you can use your refund, if you have one.

Edited to add: Any survivor benefits that the child is receiving will be suspended once an adoption takes place.

GL.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">