• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step daughter wants to change her last name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ireneliz

What is the name of your state? NJ
Hello .I need an advice .My daughter is 10 years old , I'm married second time .My daughter has her father's last name ,but she wants to change it to ours ,because she doesn't feel part of the family..Her father -my first husband lives in another country .My daughter wants to be adopted by my husband ,but at least we want to make her feel better and change her last name .
Her father doesn't pay us any money ,but she will go to visit him this summer .
Please ,if anybody knows what can be done .
Thank you

Just Blue

ireneliz said:
What is the name of your state? NJ
Hello .I need an advice .My daughter is 10 years old , I'm married second time .My daughter has her father's last name ,but she wants to change it to ours ,because she doesn't feel part of the family..Her father -my first husband lives in another country .My daughter wants to be adopted by my husband ,but at least we want to make her feel better and change her last name .
Her father doesn't pay us any money ,but she will go to visit him this summer .
Please ,if anybody knows what can be done .
Thank you
Unless her father would agree to the name change there is nothing to be done. You need to put her in counseling to find out why she feels that she isn't a part of the family.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">