• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

step father adoptin or name change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

crashjohnson

Texas is where we all reside.

My son just turned 3 a few weeks ago and is now being tested for speech delay due to his epilespy. That point is only valid because that's what brought my husband and I to thinking about when he starts school he will have a different last name than the both of us and his soon to be brother. We don't want him to feel like an outcast in his own home with his own family. His father is currently and has been incarcerated since December 2013 for violating his probation, assault on a family\household member (myself), strangulation. His second arrest for the same charges lead to a 5 year plea bargain with the state for prison time. The first time however was when I was 5 months pregnant with my son. His epilepsy and medical problems have been linked to that event. I asked him to sign his rights over and he refused to sign them to me saying he would sign them to his parents so he wouldn't have to pay child support. I filed child support directly after that conversation and the judge awarded it to me as well as full costudy, no visitation to the father, and no rights or access to any iinformation regarding our son. However they did not actually fully terminate his rights. My husband is the only father my son remembers and the only one that has ever been any part of a father figure or role model for him. He would like to assume legal responsibility of him and adopt him which seems impossible in these circumstances. So we thought we could just give him our last name and he could know he belonged to us. Which researching that has lead to needing his biological fathers ppermission unless his rights are fully terminated. Any suggestions? Rude commentary goes very well unappreciated. Thank you.

crashjohnson

i have consulted an attorney

They've basically Advised that it is up to the judge whether or not the Name change would be accepted And as far as the Adoption goes that the state of Texas will not terminate rights Unless the child has been abused abandoned or The father is deceased

Proserpina

They've basically Advised that it is up to the judge whether or not the Name change would be accepted And as far as the Adoption goes that the state of Texas will not terminate rights Unless the child has been abused abandoned or The father is deceased
Then there's your answer.

Proserpina

And, you're done here.

You clearly shouldn't have custody of anything more complex than a carrot.

You're welcome.

Just Blue

Do not post your legal issues on another posters thread. And what happens in Texas does not always happen in the rest of the Country. :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">