• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step parent adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mychele76

What is the name of your state? CA

My husband has approached me about adopting my 2 little boys. I had them when I was very young and foolish. I did not put their sperm donors name on either one of their birth certificates. I don't know where this man is now.
My husband is a wonderful man who takes great care of my two boys. I would very much like to have him adopt them. Here is my problem. I went to get the paperwork and saw that a form is required to relinquish parental rights. Their Sperm donor is not on the birth Certificate and has no parental rights.
My children are 8 and 7 now and he has never had much of anything to do with them and hasn't made any contact with them in a very long time. The sperm donor has also never paid a dime of child support, nor did I ever take any action to make him do so. It is important to both myself and my children to have a father. Any advice you can give me on how to go about this would be very helpful.

When I had my kids I was very young and used Medi cal for insurance. I was on public assistance for a short time and went to school. As soon as I got out of school I dropped the assistance. Will this create a problem?

LegalBeagle

Mychele76 said:
What is the name of your state? CA

My husband has approached me about adopting my 2 little boys. I had them when I was very young and foolish. I did not put their sperm donors name on either one of their birth certificates. I don't know where this man is now.
My husband is a wonderful man who takes great care of my two boys. I would very much like to have him adopt them. Here is my problem. I went to get the paperwork and saw that a form is required to relinquish parental rights. Their Sperm donor is not on the birth Certificate and has no parental rights.
My children are 8 and 7 now and he has never had much of anything to do with them and hasn't made any contact with them in a very long time. The sperm donor has also never paid a dime of child support, nor did I ever take any action to make him do so. It is important to both myself and my children to have a father. Any advice you can give me on how to go about this would be very helpful.

When I had my kids I was very young and used Medi cal for insurance. I was on public assistance for a short time and went to school. As soon as I got out of school I dropped the assistance. Will this create a problem?
You need to retain an attorney to proceed with this.. you can make the adoption happen, but it has to be 100% correct.. one slip up and it can be overturned in the future. So, start calling around ..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">