• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

step-parent adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MaryjaneNY

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

My husbands' ex-wife and new husband want to adopt their child. My husband is willing to let them, however we feel like they're playing games by constantally stalling , i.e. their lawyer not returning phone calls. My husband has 2 requests: inform in writing within 7 days of the adoption going through and their agreement in suspending child support from now on.( We were informed that some adoptions could go on for months, and since support would stop when adoption goes through anyway, this should be no big deal.) They have already stalled through September support, yet we were sent copies of all the adoption paperwork filled out. The only thing they're waiting on is the surrender form, which my husband won't send until he hears from their lawyer. Is there a time frame they need to act on, or is there a way to get them to either act or withdraw their request? ( They started everything in mid-August)

brisgirl825

These things can take quite awhile, so you should really be patient.
Their lawyer doesn't work for you and has no obligation to speak to your husband, as it is a conflict of interests, and in fact, may even charge mom for any calls. Mom is w/i her right to tell the atty not to speak to your husband.
Your husband needs to give them all of the paperwork so it can get done. The longer he plays the game, the longer he'll be paying CS, which no doubt is the reason he's doing this.

MaryjaneNY

Her lawyer agreed to put in writing to inform of adoption and suspend support, but husband hasn't received these requests in writing yet. My husband isn't playing games, just wants these requests in writing before he sends off his surrender form. We were advised by a lawyer to get these things in writing before giving up rights.

brisgirl825

He is asking for things that he has no right or need to have. Once there is an adoption, he will no longer be required to pay support. I mean, this is why he is doing it right? He is automatically going to have his rights AND responsibilities terminated. All this is doing is taking extra time and money.
He also does not have to be informed of the hearing. Did he sign a Waiver of Serivice of Summons? The court will send him out the documentation that the adoption has been finalized.
I understand what's going on here. He wants to know when the hearing is, so he can make sure that not a dime more goes out in CS. :rolleyes: Is he in arrears?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">