• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step-parent adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mmanning_sdp

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Florida

I have two daughters and their biological father as agreed to let my husband adopt them. I have called several attorneys and they are wanting a huge fee. I was wondering if I am able to do this myself since there is not going to be any fighting with their bio dad? If so, what steps do I need to take to make the adoption legal?

in2deep101

sorry

I know you pob. dont want to hear this but if you do this yourself there might be a chance down the road that the bio father will contest. it is always better to hire a lawyer.

tigger22472

I agree. You would need to know exactly what forms need to be signed, whether the state requires home studies (yes they are done in step-parent adoption cases in some states). Everything needs to be done so as not to be able to be vacated at a later date due to a technicality.

haiku

you are always better off STARTING with a lawyer than going the whole way without one.

Only a family lawyer can tell you if yours is a state that you can go it alone after being properly educated in the process.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">