• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

step parent adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

momof4_lil1s

What is the name of your state? TX
The biological mother of my step daughter has not been seen or heard from in 2 yrs. My husband and I have no idea of where she might be in order to get her served with termination papers. We hired an attorney but he tells me that we have to serve the bio mom. How can I get the attorney to do something because of abandonment laws? We have already placed a child support case with the attorney general's office in an attempt to locate the bio mom. They know where she lives and are sending support checks from her 2 other children's fathers but they cannot get her served with papers to take the case to court. This woman has not tried to contact anyone nor has she ever supported her daughter. I am ready to have my daughter be LEGALLY mine!! Please help with any of this.:(What is the name of your state?

bbs3cc

I read somewhere else that you can put a notice in the papers to tell the b.m. of the court case and if she does not show then she waives her rights. By putting a notice in the paper it acts as her being served. I would double check with your attorney on this. Hope it all works out.

Silverplum

bbs3cc: Please. Stop. Giving. Advice.

OP -- consult with a local attorney who specializes in adoptions. This is NOT a do-it-yourself project. You hire a plumber for the gushing water; you hire an attorney for adoptions. Period.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">