• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step Parent Adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

greenleetileco

What is the name of your state? Florida

I have a 19 year old daughter whose father has not seen her since she was 10. My second husband raised her. My husband would like to adopt her. Is there an age limit? He wants to be listed as the father on her birth certificate & for her to have his last name.
Thank you.

Gracie3787

What is the name of your state? Florida

I have a 19 year old daughter whose father has not seen her since she was 10. My second husband raised her. My husband would like to adopt her. Is there an age limit? He wants to be listed as the father on her birth certificate & for her to have his last name.
Thank you.
Since the legal father's permission won't be needed, you can do this without an attorney. Go to www.flcourts.org click on family law forms and scroll down to the 12.981 adult adoption forms.

tpamommy

Since the legal father's permission won't be needed, you can do this without an attorney. Go to www.flcourts.org click on family law forms and scroll down to the 12.981 adult adoption forms.
I'm in a similar situation. My son's biological father already signed the "Parent waiver consent" relinquishing his parental rights and naming my husband as the adopting parent.

I downloaded all the appropriate forms (packet) from FLcourts.org, but I'm not sure who the "respondent" should be? The bio. father, or the state? And the summons that came in the packet has an "Important" statement that says "A lawsuit has been filed against you. You have 20 calendar days after this summons is served on you to file a written response to the attached complaint/petition with the clerk of this circuit court, located at: {street address} .
A phone call will not protect you. Your written response, including the case number given above and the names of the parties, must be filed if you want the Court to hear your side of the case.
I'm not suing anyone, so do I disregard this form?

I understand a lawyer is always recommended, however with costs so high we are trying to do this ourselves first.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">