• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step parent adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tpamommy

what is the name of your state? Florida

I just found this site today. I am in the process (or what I thought was the process) of changing my son's last name to my husband's. My son's bio father mailed me a handwritten letter (notarized) stating he was relinquishing all parental rights. He has also signed/notarized these minor legal name change documents (drawn up by legalzoom). I have a feeling I'm not going into the right direction here.

Can someone advise me.

BTW~ I did a search on step parent adoption process, but there's nothing that I found for FL. Only a URL posted by another member which leads you to an error message.What is the name of your state?

fairisfair

okay. First of all, what is it that you are trying to do?

Are you trying to merely change your son's name? If so, then file the name change documents. But realize that whatever he signed terminating his rights, is absolutely meaningless.

If your intent is an adoption, then you need to file for a termination of your child's biological father's rights, and then begin adoption proceedings which will INCLUDE the name change.

This is NOT a DIY project, GET AN ATTORNEY.

tpamommy

okay. First of all, what is it that you are trying to do?

Are you trying to merely change your son's name? If so, then file the name change documents. But realize that whatever he signed terminating his rights, is absolutely meaningless.

If your intent is an adoption, then you need to file for a termination of your child's biological father's rights, and then begin adoption proceedings which will INCLUDE the name change.

This is NOT a DIY project, GET AN ATTORNEY.

Thank you for your response. Step adoption is our goal. My son's bio father will sign the consent/waiver form that I printed out on www.flcourts.org. Do you think that will suffice. I am trying to get his consent (legally) before I lose contact w/him (he's in another state).
For now I would like to go ahead and file the name change documents. Do you believe it will be a waste of time? Since my attorney will cover that in the step-adoption anyways? I'm just not sure when we would be able to proceed with the adoption itself, but I would like to change over his documents especially with the new school year coming around the corner.

TYVM!

Gracie3787

what is the name of your state? Florida

I just found this site today. I am in the process (or what I thought was the process) of changing my son's last name to my husband's. My son's bio father mailed me a handwritten letter (notarized) stating he was relinquishing all parental rights. He has also signed/notarized these minor legal name change documents (drawn up by legalzoom). I have a feeling I'm not going into the right direction here.

Can someone advise me.

BTW~ I did a search on step parent adoption process, but there's nothing that I found for FL. Only a URL posted by another member which leads you to an error message.What is the name of your state?
You can find the Florida adoption statutes at www.flsenate.gov/STATUTES in chapter 63.

As another poster stated, you really should use an attorney for this, just to make sure everything is correct, to prevent possible future problems.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">