• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step Parent Adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

szulbam

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

My current husband would like to adopt my 5 year old daughter. I don't know who her biological father is, and under the father's name on her birth certificate, it is left blank. How should I proceed since I won't have the noncustodial parent's consent to the step parent adoption? Will I still be able to file my paperwork without it?

proud_parent

My current husband would like to adopt my 5 year old daughter. I don't know who her biological father is, and under the father's name on her birth certificate, it is left blank. How should I proceed since I won't have the noncustodial parent's consent to the step parent adoption? Will I still be able to file my paperwork without it?
Are the men who may have fathered your daughter still living?

What is the reason you have not previously established the child's paternity?

How long have you and your current husband been married?

LdiJ

You need a consult with an adoption attorney. Adoption is definitely not a DIY project and even more particularly not one in this instance. Don't rely on advice from an internet message forum.

haiku

You need a consult with an adoption attorney. Adoption is definitely not a DIY project and even more particularly not one in this instance. Don't rely on advice from an internet message forum.
Complete agreement with this response.

when a bio-father is "unknown", there are precise legal steps that MUST be followed or you run the risk of voiding your adoption, and the possibility of adoption fraud charges.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">