+ Reply to Thread
    szulbam is offline Junior Member

Step Parent Adoption

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

My current husband would like to adopt my 5 year old daughter. I don't know who her biological father is, and under the father's name on her birth certificate, it is left blank. How should I proceed since I won't have the noncustodial parent's consent to the step parent adoption? Will I still be able to file my paperwork without it?
    proud_parent is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by szulbam View Post

My current husband would like to adopt my 5 year old daughter. I don't know who her biological father is, and under the father's name on her birth certificate, it is left blank. How should I proceed since I won't have the noncustodial parent's consent to the step parent adoption? Will I still be able to file my paperwork without it?
    Are the men who may have fathered your daughter still living?

What is the reason you have not previously established the child's paternity?

How long have you and your current husband been married?
    LdiJ is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by szulbam View Post

You need a consult with an adoption attorney. Adoption is definitely not a DIY project and even more particularly not one in this instance. Don't rely on advice from an internet message forum.
    haiku is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LdiJ View Post
    You need a consult with an adoption attorney. Adoption is definitely not a DIY project and even more particularly not one in this instance. Don't rely on advice from an internet message forum.
    Complete agreement with this response.

when a bio-father is "unknown", there are precise legal steps that MUST be followed or you run the risk of voiding your adoption, and the possibility of adoption fraud charges.
    "It is easier to build strong children than repair broken men." Frederick Douglas