• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

step parent adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kellzabellz

Hi, my name is Kelly, and I have been married to my husband for 5 years. He is wanting to adopt my older daughters (age 12 and 8). The biological father is not in the picture and has not been since right before I found out I was pregnant with my 8 year old. I would love to be able to easily fill out some paperwork and get the adoption taken care of, instead of spending a couple thousand dollars in attorney fees, and then we could use it as a celebratory vacation. We live in Indiana, and the bio-parent is in Oregon. He currently owes $30k in back support and I know he would be more than willing to sign his parental rights away (as he has informed me in an email). What steps would I need to go through to get this done?

Thanks!

Proserpina

Hi, my name is Kelly, and I have been married to my husband for 5 years. He is wanting to adopt my older daughters (age 12 and 8). The biological father is not in the picture and has not been since right before I found out I was pregnant with my 8 year old. I would love to be able to easily fill out some paperwork and get the adoption taken care of, instead of spending a couple thousand dollars in attorney fees, and then we could use it as a celebratory vacation. We live in Indiana, and the bio-parent is in Oregon. He currently owes $30k in back support and I know he would be more than willing to sign his parental rights away (as he has informed me in an email). What steps would I need to go through to get this done?

Thanks!

Standard answer: Don't cut corners; get an attorney on board even if it's just to get the petition in order.

Seriously Kelly, adoption is rarely a DIY project and when it is it's because at least one party actually knows - be it through education or experience - what they're doing.

Spend the money already.

Just Blue

Thanks!
Despite the fact you would "love to be able" to save the necessary funds making the adoption legal...you should spend said money and put off the "celebratory vacation".

ecmst12

Also your ex might not be so eager once he finds out he will still owe the arrears. It's not legal to sell your child by agreeing to waive arrears in exchange for agreeing to terminate his rights.

LdiJ

Also your ex might not be so eager once he finds out he will still owe the arrears. It's not legal to sell your child by agreeing to waive arrears in exchange for agreeing to terminate his rights.
That is not really accurate. Forgiveness of arrears is a fairly common thing in stepparent adoptions. However its certainly not automatic and its certainly true that they would still be owed if they are not forgiven.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
That is not really accurate. Forgiveness of arrears is a fairly common thing in stepparent adoptions. However its certainly not automatic and its certainly true that they would still be owed if they are not forgiven.
Many courts will not allow arrears to be forgiven ... there is a discussion on another legal forum about this same thing.

LdiJ

Many courts will not allow arrears to be forgiven ... there is a discussion on another legal forum about this same thing.
I am aware of that discussion. I am also aware that some judges will not allow it to happen. I am also aware that it cannot happen at all if the arrears are owed to the state.

However, to say that something is illegal when it does happen fairly often is not quite accurate.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I am aware of that discussion. I am also aware that some judges will not allow it to happen. I am also aware that it cannot happen at all if the arrears are owed to the state.

However, to say that something is illegal when it does happen fairly often is not quite accurate.
I concur. I just wanted to clarify that. Hence why OP needs an attorney in order to make sure that this is done completely legally.

Just Blue

Huh...:rolleyes:

Some troll posted on this 2 1/2 old thread. I reported it.

As an aside this is the 3 time I posted this. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">