• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step parent adoption, absent father

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jdwallace4

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kansas

Getting married in october, my sons faster had never even met him. We would like to get this done as cheap as possible, just not sure how. His father will relinquish rights without question and my cold will be taking his new dads name. Ant help is great

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kansas

Getting married in october, my sons faster had never even met him. We would like to get this done as cheap as possible, just not sure how. His father will relinquish rights without question and my cold will be taking his new dads name. Ant help is great

Get an attorney.

Even if you all agree, it's best to have an attorney at least go over things before a stepparent adoption goes ahead.

jdwallace4

I know an attorney would be best, I'm looking to see other routes. I just went through a lengthy hospital stay with him and cant really afford much

Isis1

I know an attorney would be best, I'm looking to see other routes. I just went through a lengthy hospital stay with him and cant really afford much
Look, I know this isn't what you want to hear, but you really should get an attorney involved. This is a child we are talking about. This is not something you want to leave a loophole open for something like this to be overturned. At the very least, hire one to look over the paperwork and point you in the right direction.

You'll need to be married for at least a year, and paternity will have to be established with the father so he can properly relinquish his rights.

Last edited:

Antigone*

Have you discussed with the person who wants to step in as dad the possiblities down the line? If you divorce does he know that he will be on the hook for child support? There will be no "that's not my kid" excuse.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Getting married in october, my sons faster had never even met him.
So... does that make you the child's "slower"?

We would like to get this done as cheap as possible, just not sure how.
Cheaper is not always better.

His father will relinquish rights without question and my cold will be taking his new dads name. Ant help is great
Why would you name your illness anything? The Ants will tell you to prepare for winter by putting away adequate stores, as opposed to the lazy grasshopper who lazes around all summer.

Okay, now to be serious... NO adoption will take place until you've been married, and it is best to wait at least a year to even beginning thinking about it. You want to give your marriage some time to settle in before adding yet another stressor to your lives. And really, it is very important to do it right the first time - and that means with a lawyer. If you can't do it except by doing it cheap? Maybe it shouldn't be done. What's the hurry?

Seanscott

Call around - you can get a consultation with an attorney at a reasonable fee. Ours was $50 and worth every penny!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">