• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step-parent adoption in Georgia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

niquern

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I just moved to Georgia from Maryland in May 2007 I have a 13y/o daughter, my ex-husband hasn't seen her in six years or paid child support for that long. He usually calls once a year on Christmas which he hadn't done the last two years until he heard that I was moving, he called in March for her birthday. I have had problems with the courts in MD and now they are dismissing my child support case because they have been unable to find him for the last five years. I talked to an attorney in MD about my current husband adopting her and he basically told me it is a lost cause. Unless the parent is totally unfit the courts in Maryland will not terminate his rights. I am wondering how much the laws differ in GA. Has any been in similiar situations in GA. I also wanted to change her last name. I know that Georgia has an abandonment law, but I didn't know if I could use it since I just moved here and the name change forms don't tell me what to do in that situation. I don't know where he lives, I know it is in Baltimore, Maryland. His grandmother is the only person that I have contact info for and she stopped taking my calls when I told her that I wanted my husband to adopt my daughter, so now I have no contact with his family.

Gracie3787

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I just moved to Georgia from Maryland in May 2007 I have a 13y/o daughter, my ex-husband hasn't seen her in six years or paid child support for that long. He usually calls once a year on Christmas which he hadn't done the last two years until he heard that I was moving, he called in March for her birthday. I have had problems with the courts in MD and now they are dismissing my child support case because they have been unable to find him for the last five years. I talked to an attorney in MD about my current husband adopting her and he basically told me it is a lost cause. Unless the parent is totally unfit the courts in Maryland will not terminate his rights. I am wondering how much the laws differ in GA. Has any been in similiar situations in GA. I also wanted to change her last name. I know that Georgia has an abandonment law, but I didn't know if I could use it since I just moved here and the name change forms don't tell me what to do in that situation. I don't know where he lives, I know it is in Baltimore, Maryland. His grandmother is the only person that I have contact info for and she stopped taking my calls when I told her that I wanted my husband to adopt my daughter, so now I have no contact with his family.
As advised on the other sites, Georgia's laws won't do any good until you establish legal residency AND file to bring the case to Georgia. I'm not sure on Ga laws, but residncy is usually eithr 6 months or a year and you haven't met eithr one yet.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">