• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step-Parent Adoption - Minnesota

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rach22

What is the name of your state? MN

Okey-dokey.... I have a 3yr old daughter. Her bio-father has not seen her in over a year and he is about 6k behind in child-support (I've only received 2 payments, and then the payments stopped) The county has been trying to locate him for the past 12 to 13 months and only successfully found him once through an employer. Well, he no longer works at that place, apparently, and the county cannot find him again!
I'm getting married this coming October and my fiance would like to adopt my daughter as his own after we get married. I have searched and searched and cannot find information as to how long the parent and step-parent have to be married before the step-parent can adopt the child. I've heard that in some states it ranges anywhere from 6months to 2 or 3 years! ok, ok, now for the actual questions:

1. How long do the parent and step-parent have to be married to be able to start the adoption process in Minnesota?

2. I found information under which a bio-parents rights can be 'terminated'... under what grounds is 'abandonment' determined in MN?

3. I am aware that I, and/or the county, must try to contact the bio-father to give notice and/or receive consent for the adoption. What if the county cannot find him (via employers, last known addresses, etc.) to receive or give any information? Is there a certain time period to where the effort in finding him can stop?

4. I am having a hard time finding information on these topics that are specific to MN, can anyone point me in the right direction? Would it be worth-while to contact an attorney about these questions? Does it cost money to just get advice? Would my county be able to provide me with answers?

Thanks for any information, Rach22

nextwife

And I'd REALLY suggest waiting until you have few years of marriage before playing musical daddy. LOTs of posters come here either wanting to undo a stepparent adoption done when they were kids or wanting to undo step adoptions from short term marriages because they are no longer with the adoptive parent. What your child's father did or didn't do is not the point. You should have a good, strong, tested marriage under your belt BEFORE even rthinking about step adoption. It is not appropriate or a good idea to be planning an adoption during an engagement.

PLEASE go through the archives.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">