• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step parent adoption and name change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

niquern

What is the name of your state? GA/MD

I am moving from MD to GA in a couple of months. I have a 13y/o daughter, my ex-husband hasn't seen her in seven years or paid child support for that long. He used to call once a year on Christmas but he hasn't called in three years. I have had problems with the courts in MD and now they are dismissing my child support case because they have been unable to find him for the last five years. I talked to an attorney in MD about my current husband adopting her and he basically told me it is a lost cause. Unless the parent is totally unfit the courts in Maryland will not terminate his rights. I am wondering how much the laws differ in GA. Has any been in similiar situations in MD or GA. I also wanted to change her last name. What is the legal age to change your name. I know in some states it's 16.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
If her biofather has essentially abandoned her, it may be possible to do. However, since the courts generally require either a finding that the parent is unfit OR his/her consent, you're going to need to jump through hoops to show that you've made a sincere effort to find him. You really should go through an attorney for an adoption.

For a name change, the biofather's consent is generally also needed, until the child reaches the age of maturity (18).

I will also caution you that you should check what legal hoops you need to jump through before moving your child from MD.

LdiJ

If her biofather has essentially abandoned her, it may be possible to do. However, since the courts generally require either a finding that the parent is unfit OR his/her consent, you're going to need to jump through hoops to show that you've made a sincere effort to find him. You really should go through an attorney for an adoption.

For a name change, the biofather's consent is generally also needed, until the child reaches the age of maturity (18).

I will also caution you that you should check what legal hoops you need to jump through before moving your child from MD.
Honestly, I don't think that she has to jump through any hoops at this point. He hasn't seen the child or paid child support in 7 years, and hasn't even made phone contact in 3.
Nothing is going to happen to her if she moves without jumping through any hoops.

Dad's in arrearages for 7 years worth of CS. Dad's not going to risk putting himself under the court radar.

Gracie3787

Honestly, I don't think that she has to jump through any hoops at this point. He hasn't seen the child or paid child support in 7 years, and hasn't even made phone contact in 3.
Nothing is going to happen to her if she moves without jumping through any hoops.

Dad's in arrearages for 7 years worth of CS. Dad's not going to risk putting himself under the court radar.
I disagree with your advice. although it's likely that the OP will be able to move even if dad does contest, if her state's laws or her court order requires notification before moving, she will have to make an attempt to do so.
The OP should first check her court order and her state's laws, if notification is required she can most likely fulfill her obligation by notifying dad by certified return reciept mail at his last known address. When the card comes back marked undeliverable she will be free to move without any fear of later reprecussions.

niquern

My court order doesn't state anything about notifying the other parent if I move. I have been trying to find along with the local child support agency with no luck. The local child support agency has recently closed my case claiming that they have used up all their resources over these years and have been unable to find him. I don't know how many more hoops I have to jump through for the court. He owes seven years worth of child support, I don't have any money to pay a lawyer to try to find him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">